WEEK 32 REVIEW: League title glory for Jolof Sports Club and Wapping

WEEK 32 REVIEW: League title glory for Jolof Sports Club and Wapping

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The league’s final cup final place was settled on Saturday as Cowley Community, fresh from their shock win at Colebrook Royals a fortnight ago, hosted Sporting Hackney Reserves at the Flats in the Division One Cup semi final with both sides eager to book a place at Dagenham. But it was Sporting Hackney who were able to come away victorious as they won 3-1 despite a Conor Harrington goal for the hosts to see them through to the final where they face Three Colts on 15th May.


Jolof Sports Club have entered the history books this weekend as they confirmed themselves as the new Essex Alliance League Premier Division Champions for this season following a 3-0 home win against Old Esthameians in the penultimate match of the season. Jeffrey Cobblah, scorer of many an important goal this year, scored twice with Jesus Paniagua completing the victory that confirmed the title in style against their rivals. Congratulations go to all involved at the club on a terrific achievement. These sides will meet again on 16th May in the Premier Division Cup Final at Dagenham & Redbridge.

A couple of London boroughs away, it wasn’t quite such good news for Melbourne Sports who saw their relegation confirmed on the last day of the season with a draw and a defeat to Grove United in a double header. A 0-0 draw was followed by a 2-1 Grove United victory with Michael Adams and Aaron Scott goals securing a likely fourth placed finish for John Hughes’ side. For the Mels, they will look to hope to use this season as a spring board to make a quick return to the top flight.

In the division’s other fixture of the day, Rainham Working Mens Club couldn’t quite complete the great escape that they had been working hard to achieve as they also saw their relegation place confirmed with a 5-1 defeat to Blue Marlin in both sides’ concluding fixtures of the season.


In Division One, the final promotion matters were settled as Three Colts hosted Kitgum Boys knowing that they needed a win to stay in the hunt for a promotion place. But it was the visitors who spoiled the party with a 2-1 win as Shafik Walusimbi and Mathius Sendawula scored to cancel out a Jason Fox goal for the cup finalists.

That result means that West Essex Reserves will finish as runners-up this season and are promoted to the Premier Division for next season. Well done gentlemen!


The Division Two fixture list saw the third and fourth placed sides go head to head with Forest Green taking on Chingford Athletic Reserves in Walthamstow. And it was Forest Green, a side who have shown tremendous improvement through this campaign who will complete a third placed finish as they ran out 4-2 winners despite Chingford goals from Joseph Cloake and James Clarke.

In the other game in the division, already relegated Glendale secured a hard fought victory over Old Barkabbeyans Reserves, coming from behind to secure a late 2-1 victory. Brandon Johnson had given Old Barks a deserved lead but were shocked by two late Robert Sulkowski strikes for the Dales to hand them just a third league victory of the season.


Congratulations also go out to Wapping this weekend as they sealed their maiden league title in their first season of adult football, beating their close rivals Custom House to glory following a 1-1 draw in the last game of the season. Custom House knew that only a win by four clear goals would give them hope of title glory but the sides battled out a 1-1 draw with Adel Mouaden on target once again for his side. Well done to everybody to involved with Wapping on such a great achievement and a special mention also for Custom House on making it a hard fought battle for the title.

The sides will meet again in just two weeks’ time when they walk out at Dagenham & Redbridge on 10th May to do battle once again.

PHOTO CREDIT: Lamo the Lion

Other News Articles

Return to news list