WEEK 29 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 29 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The first half of our Fenton Cup final line-up was confirmed on Saturday afternoon as London Falcons booked their place at Dagenham & Redbridge FC in May with a 3-1 victory over Kitgum Boys. Falcons opened the scoring early on through Daniel Vearer before Kitgum’s keeper, Nedelin Vasilev, brought the sides level with a long range effort! Vearer scored again however with Seb Gardiner’s winner booking a final against either Chingford Athletic or Grove United.


Jolof Sports Club have been confirmed as Premier Division Cup finalists as they ran out 4-1 winners in their semi-final against United London at the weekend in West Ham. Sam Paterson had given United the lead but a brace from Jeffrey Cobblah and further goals from Armel Njonga and Muhammed Ndow saw Jolof take the game and book a final against Old Esthameians next month.


There were two dramatic matches in the Division Two Cup with the form book thrown away in two shock results.

Forest Green met Chigwell Rovers in Walthamstow with the high-flying hosts keen to take some silverware from a fruitful season. However Chigwell Rovers had other ideas, racing into a 2-0 lead through goals from Will Osmond. It stayed that way until late into the game before two late, late strikes from Forest Green brought the match level and forced a penalty shootout. And it was Rovers who prevailed in the shootout, winning 4-2 to take their place at Dagenham & Redbridge in their maiden season.

In the other semi-final, there was similar drama as title-chasing Colebrook Royals Reserves took on Lymore Gardens at the Grange, eager to add cup success to a successful season thus far. But it was fifth placed Lymore Gardens who produced yet another shock result as they ended the game level at 2-2 through goals from Dylan Roberts and Michael Konis and, in the resultant penalty shootout, the Leyton-based side were victorious to take their place in May’s final.


A relegation six-pointer on Saturday in the Premier Division saw ninth placed LOASS take on bottom side Rainham Working Mens Club in a crucial match-up. Rainham needed to win to maintain any hope of avoiding the drop to Division One and win was what they did. Sean Thomas scored twice with Daniel Berru also netting to cancel Sam Burton’s goal for the hosts and keep their hopes alive with one game left to save their top flight status.


The game of the day in Division One saw the two sides chasing a spot in the Premier Division next season go head-to-head in Highams Park with Three Colts hosting West Essex Reserves. With both sides separated by just a point, West needed the win to keep things in their own hands and a 3-1 victory, their twelfth of the campaign, saw them do just that as they go second and take a two-point lead over their opposition.

At the other end of the table, the relegation situation will go to the wire with a single point separating the bottom three sides. St John’s Deaf ensured their participation in Division One once again next season with a 6-1 victory at St Francis in Leytonstone with the Saints now facing a relegation decider next weekend.

Another side facing the drop are East Ham International who were dealt a blow in their own battle with relegation going down 1-0 in a narrow defeat in their penultimate match of the season on Saturday against Sporting Hackney Reserves. That result means they now face St Francis next week with the winner effectively sealing survival.

Ferns Seniors can breathe a sigh of relief as they picked up a tremendously important point at home against Cowley Community at the weekend, as the sides finished level at 2-2. Jamie Redington scored both of the goals for Ferns in a result which ensures they will be in Division One once again next season.


Ryan Reserves have one hand on the Division Two championship now as they overcame a tough looking fixture away at third-placed Chingford Athletic Reserves, winning by the odd goal in a 2-1 result. Harry Miller got on the scoresheet for Athletic but that proved in vain as Ryan moved to within two victories of sealing the title.


Newham Royals completed their season at the weekend in Division Three with a comfortable 3-1 win at home against Royal Forest. Richard Smith led the way for his side by scoring all three of their goals as they move up to a vastly improved sixth placed position.

Other News Articles

Return to news list