WEEK 28 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 28 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


Our first cup finalists of the season were confirmed on a bright but windy Saturday afternoon as Old Esthameians won emphatically 9-2 against Grove United in Newbury Park. Neil Robinson scored a hat-trick for E’s to help them on their way before braces from Danny Morgan and Jake Evans and singles from John David-Bradley and Frankie Markham completed the scoring. Michael Adams and Jamie Pooley were the men on target with Grove’s goals but they proved mere consolation.

Old Esthameians will now face either Jolof Sports Club or United London in the final at Dagenham & Redbridge FC on Tuesday 16th May.


The line-up for our inaugural Division Three Cup final was also completed at the weekend with both semi-finals taking place simultaneously. Custom House have made it to their second successive final with a comfortable 7-0 win on Saturday against Brentwood United Reserves with all of the goals coming in the first half. Sam Wilkinson and Paul Wooster scored two goals each with further goals arriving through strikes from Tim Mason, Jamie Wooster and Jack Field to book their place at Dagenham & Redbridge FC.

In the final, Custom House will take on new boys Wapping after they saw off county cup quarter-finalists, Kitroom, in a 4-1 victory in east London. Kamel Zaiter found the back of the net for the visitors but home goals from Mohammed Hussain (2), Adel Mouaden and Kamrul Ahmed completed a historic victory for Wapping. They will face Custom House in the final on Wednesday 10th May.


In the Fenton Cup, a quarter-final clash saw Division One’s Kitgum Boys host Division Two’s Old Barkabbeyans Reserves in West Ham for a place in the semi-finals next weekend. And it was the Division One side who prevailed, seeing off Old Barks in a 3-1 win despite a Tola Oyerokun strike for the visitors. Valentine Ngaham scored twice for Kirgum with Mustafa Lubwama also netting to see their side through to the semi finals.


Jolof Sports Club have moved a step closer to finally laying their hands on the league title after overcoming the efforts of relegation threatened Rainham Working Mens Club in a 5-1 victory. Muhammed Ndow scored twice with Jeffrey Cobblah, Armel Njonga and Ahmadou Seye also netting to leave Jolof just two victories away from securing the championship.

In the division’s other match played at the weekend, Lopes Tavares London completed their maiden season with a sixth victory of the campaign, securing their Premier Division status in the process. They were victorious in a 3-1 win over relegation-threatened Melbourne Sports who will likely need a couple more wins of their own.


The chase for promotion and Premier Division football next season looks like going to the wire in Division One as West Essex Reserves beat fourth placed Cowley Community in a 3-0 win. Lloyd Renvoize scored twice with Jack Miles also netting to complete the victory and leave West a point behind current second placed side Three Colts, each with four games left to play and crucially one match against each other.

Another keenly contested situation is the relegation battle with the bottom three sides separated by just a single point as the games begin to run out. Singh Sabha Barking saw their own chances of survival heightened as they beat St Johns Deaf 7-1 in Newbury Park. They do however still need to win their remaining match away at Kitgum Boys to have any chance of avoiding the drop.


In Division Two, Chingford Athletic Reserves have moved up to third place in the table as they held title chasing Colebrook Royals Reserves to a 2-2 draw at The Grange. Josh Trainor and Michael Johnson were the Athletic scorers with Paddy Sheehy netting the Colebrook reply to see both sides going home with a point each. Royals are now four points behind Ryan Reserves with four games to go of the season.

Chigwell Rovers will be left to sweat for one more match at least as they battle to avoid the drop. Chingford Harriers were the latest opponents for Rovers and it Harriers who came away with maximum points as Edwin Jabbari scored the only goal of the game in a 1-0 victory for them. For Rovers, a win in their final game will secure Division Two football once again next season.


In Division Three, an entertaining encounter saw St Francis Reserves come from behind on three occasions against Royal Forest to share the spoils in a 3-3 draw at the Flats. Jack Hall scored twice for the Saints with a Jerard Cabey goal completing the tally.

Other News Articles

Return to news list