WEEK 26 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 26 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


League leaders Jolof Sports Club have made it safely through to the semi-finals of the Premier Division Cup but not without a scare as they travelled to Blue Marlin on Saturday and came through a ten goal thriller. Goals from each of Ayman Ahmed, Jeffrey Cobblah, Serigne Mbengue, Solomon Sambou, Muhammed Ndow and Armel Njonga were just enough for Jolof to run out 6-4 winners. They will now take on United London in the upcoming semi-finals.


There were two huge results on Saturday in the Premier Division affecting both the top and bottom of the division as bottom side Rainham Working Mens Club sprung a massive shock in beating United London 4-3 in a thriller. Rainham are not going down without a fight and closed the gap on the sides above them to just a single point despite United goals from Billy Texeira (2) and Sam Paterson.

Making it a good day for the struggling sides were Melbourne Sports who travelled to Buckhurst Hill to face Chingford Athletic and came away with a share of the spoils in a 2-2 draw against their title chasing opposition. Goals from Gary Murray and Zaikhan Kazley for Chingford were not quite enough to secure victory but did move them back to the top of the table on goal difference,


The race for promotion is hotting up in Division One with both Three Colts and West Essex Reserves battling it out to inevitably join Colebrook Royals in the Premier Division for next season. With games in hand, the advantage is with West Essex who ran out 3-0 winners at Sporting Hackney Reserves on Saturday aided by goals from Maxwell Marshall, Lloyd Renvoize and Adam Norris.

However, with the advantage of points on the board and currently occupying second position, Three Colts are five points clear helped by a home victory on Saturday against East Ham International in Chingford. Colts secured a 2-1 victory despite a Sofyan Khalfi goal for the visitors to take home the points.

There was an important win for St Johns Deaf steered themselves clear of the relegation zone with a hard fought victory at home to Kitgum Boys in Leyton at the weekend. A goal for each of Jason McLean and Byron Down were enough to confirm a fifth league victory of the campaign and maximum points.

St Francis continued their great turnaround in form with another crucial victory, this time over their relegation rivals Singh Sabha Barking who have replaced them at the foot of the table. Saints came away 4-0 winners, moving up to tenth position as a result and two points off safety.


There were victories for four of the top five sides in Division Two on Saturday as the final few games of the season get underway. Colebrook Royals Reserves came through a hard fought clash at home to Chingford Harriers. A Harriers goal from Luke Edmead was not quite enough for the visitors as Royals ran out 3-1 winners.

Forest Green move back up to third in the table aided by a confident 6-1 win that they secured at Chigwell Rovers at the weekend. Ricky Stewart scored four goals for his side with Kristos February netting a brace to cancel Alfie Hutson’s goal for Rovers.

Lymore Gardens found the back of the net nine times on their trip to Hainault to face Glendale. Braces from each of Paul Roberts, Lee Benjamin and Warren Isoka plus single goals from Mark Morris, Michael Konis and Paul Gunn helped their side to a 9-1 victory to keep up the pressure on the sides above them.

Old Barkabbeyans Reserves picked up a fifth league win of the season with a 2-0 victory on Saturday on their travels at Inter Plaistow. Brandon Johnson and Timi Olaniyan scored the all important goals to take the victory and steer them further clear of relegation difficulties.


Wapping’s long unbeaten league record was finally ended at the weekend as they travelled to Romford to take on Flyers and were defeated 3-1. Fuad Ibrahim netted for the visitors and league leaders but Flyers’ goals from Daniel Ezeorji, Patrick Okoji and Lee Hattam helped them move back to third in the table. That closes the gap with fellow title chasing Custom House to just four points.

Old Esthameians Reserves secured an eighth league win of the season as they put nine goals past Wanstead Warriors without reply in Newbury Park. Lee Vickers was the star of the show with a five goal performance with Shaun Vickers (2), Chris Booker and Harry Coffey scoring goals of their own to take their side to a 9-0 win.

In the final game of the day, Royal Forest have moved up a place to eighth in the table as they beat Brentwood United Reserves by the odd goal in a 2-1 victory in Chadwell Heath. That victory was enough for the visitors to move up above their opponents in the league table with four games remaining for them.

Other News Articles

Return to news list