WEEK 8 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 8 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

PHOTO CREDIT: Lamo the Lion


On the windiest weekend of the season so far, it proved to be a fruitful one for EAL clubs in the county cup competitions with no less than ten sides breezing through into the last thirty-two of their respective competitions.

In the Essex Junior Cup, there were two ties involving EAL and Mid Essex League sides with the EAL coming out on top in both matches. Colebrook Royals travelled east to face Haver Town in an interesting looking tie. And it was Royals who returned home with the victory, winning 4-1 to book a home clash against Laindon Orient in the next round.

Also in the Junior Cup, there was a very tightly-contested match played out between Emeronians and West Essex Reserves in a local derby at wind-swept Hainault Rec. A late, late West equaliser had ended the first ninety minutes at 1-1 with them beneficiaries of the extra thirty minutes, running out 3-1 winners. They now host Essex & Suffolk Border League side Tiptree Heath in November’s third round.

Success continued into the Essex Junior Trophy with Cowley Community the biggest winners of the day in an all-EAL match-up as the Division One outfit saw off Division Three side, New Star Soccer, in a 7-0 win to book a home clash against Brentwood United in the next round.

Also going through convincingly were Docklands Albion who hosted fellow Division One side Melbourne Sports in Walthamstow. Albion ran out comfortable 6-0 winners as they continued their league success into the cup competitions. Their reward is a home match against Emerson United in the next round.

Ferns Seniors are through to the third round also, coming from behind against Glendale in a conditions-affected match to battle through to a 5-2 win. They will now be heading up the M11 in the next round as they visit Hertford & District League based Social Club Birchanger.

Division Four side Haver Town Reserves had a terrific result as they took on Hertford League Division One side Upshire Forest at windy Westlands. It took seven goals to eventually separate the sides with Haver victorious in a 4-3 scoreline as they go through to an intriguing third round clash at Chingford Athletic Reserves.

That third round tie was made possible as Division Two’s Chingford Athletic edged their close match against Division Three Chigwell at Fairlop Oak. Chigwell had come from behind to level the match twice but a late winner from Chingford eventually settled the tie to win 3-2.

In another very close match, Rainham Working Mens Club continued their fine start by hosting Essex Olympian League outfit, Dagenham United Under 21s. In the end it took just a single goal to separate the two teams on the day with Rainham the side grabbing the all important goal to book a third round spot against Singh Sabha Barking.

Singh Sabha Barking’s spot in the third round was the result of a victory over East Ham Inter, debutants in the competition, with the two Division One rivals playing out a closely fought match which eventually fell in favour of Barking, in a 3-1 final scoreline.

There were two further sides going out of the competition on Saturday as Ryan Reserves were knocked out of the competition away at Mid Essex League Division Three side, Harold Hill Reserves, in a shock result.

Also on the wrong end of a result were Avondale Rangers as the Division Four side faced Brentwood United’s first team in their second round clash and saw their participation ended for the season, going down 6-0.


Saturday’s cup football bonanza continued with two Fenton Cup clashes, the first of which saw the end of the first round action as Division Two’s Custom House looked to spring a cup shock on visitors from Division One, Colebrook Royals Reserves. However the higher division outfit proved to be too much on the day as Royals cruised to a 7-1 victory and a place in the second round.

In the day’s second round match, Premier Division side London Cranes played host to United London Reserves from Division Two with both sides eager to secure a last sixteen berth in the third round. Joabe Barbosa scored for United but the two division difference proved to be just too much as Cranes goals from Hakim Kolo, Mathew Mugisha and Shafik Walusimbi were decisive in a 3-1 scoreline.


There was an important win in the Premier Division for Lopes Tavares London on Saturday as they secured their first win of the new season and jumped out of the relegation places as a result. They took on Blue Marlin in Barkingside and were 5-3 winners, moving up above their opponents to seventh place in the table.

In the day’s other completed match, Leyton Falcons played host to London APSA in Leyton. The two sides had to settle for a share of the points with the match ending in a 2-2 scoreline. That point kept Falcons in fifth position while also moving London APSA off of the bottom of the table and up to tenth.


Division One has a new leader this weekend after Sporting Hackney Reserves took full advantage of rivals, Docklands Albion, being away from league action. They faced Three Colts at the Marshes and a very closely fought match was settled by a single goal for Hackney to go top of the league.

In the day’s other Division One match, Wapping secured a second league win of the season as they travelled to Leyton to face Forest Green. The visitors were comfortable 4-0 victors as Abderrahmane Tejadjati, Abdulwahid Zerkouki, Billy Gray and Fuad Ibrahim netted take home the points.


Division Two also has a new side at the head of the table after ACD United moved to the summit on Saturday as a result of a 3-0 home win over Forest Green Reserves. Goals from each of Harry Payne, Frankie Markham and Michael Wade confirmed victory for the new leaders.

Moving up into fifth position are Newham United Reserves who made it four wins in their opening five league matches with a 3-1 victory away at winless Inter Plaistow. David Rullins and Babatunde Akinlabi were both on the scoresheet for United who could well form part of the title chasing pack if positive results continue.

It was a big Saturday for Lionside too who made the journey west to face St Francis at Wanstead Flats and returned home with maximum points. The Chadwell Heath-based outfit were winners by the odd goal in five as they beat the Saints 3-2, moving up to ninth place in the table as a result.


London Caledonian Roses have moved level on points at the top of the Division Three table as they continued their perfect start to the season with a fourth league win. They hosted Redbridge Development at Fairlop Oak and ran out 5-2 winners with Bradley Wyatt scoring twice, and one each for Shaun Porter, Denzel Dura and Kadeem Francis.

The biggest winners of the day were Kitroom who took on winless Custom House Community at Wanstead Flats and secured a big 8-0 win. Mark Makeri scored a hat-trick, Hristo Sirakov a brace and single goals from Justin Cummins, Lewis McCarthy and Omar Wilson as they helped their side move up a place to sixth in the table.

Also winning were Gatcliffe who picked up a second league victory of the season, travelling to Ilford to face Frenford A at The Drive. Ashraf Said scored for the hosts but goals from Lee Tilbury and Jack Christopher sent the visitors to a 2-1 win, shifting up to ninth in the table.

The division’s remaining game witnessed that rarity in grassroots football – a goalless draw. Third played fourth as Old Esthameians Reserves tackled FC Baresi in Walthamstow with the hosts sporting a perfect record thus far. That came to an end however as the defences reigned supreme and they had to settle for a share of the spoils.


Newham Royals were the biggest movers in Division Four at the weekend, continuing their positive recent form with a 5-0 win at Wanstead Warriors to move third in the table. Steve Walsh scored twice for Royals with Shaun Harding, Charles Howard and Eric Hall goals completing a victory for the visitors.

Also winning big were Royal Forest who continue to threaten at the top end of the table, this week beating fourth placed Debden Park, in a 7-3 scoreline. That result moved them to within three points of Haver Town Reserves, with their fixture against the leaders looking ever more important in a fortnight’s time.

The day’s remaining match saw a five goal thriller as Brook City took on Brentwood United Reserves at Ashton Playing Fields in Woodford. William Cox found the back of the net for United but his goal proved not enough as City edged the match 3-2 in the end.

Other News Articles

Return to news list