WEEK 6 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 6 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


There were two Fenton Cup ties played at the weekend with both of the matches going to the higher league placed side although not without some drama.

Division One’s West Essex Reserves made a real match of their first round tie against higher-ranked Premier Division outfit, Blue Marlin. West Essex led their opponents at the break but Blue Marlin came through to eventually seal the tie in winning 5-4 as Sam Tulley, Isaac Olaleye, Nathan Desnoes, George Bunce and Scott Campbell all netted. They go on to face St Francis in the second round.

There were also plenty of goals in the other tie played as Colebrook Royals continued a scintillating start to the campaign with an emphatic 8-1 win over Chingford Athletic Reserves. Mark Wright made time in his busy schedule to notch himself a hat-trick with the league’s leading marksman, Chris Stowe, scoring four goals of his own along with a George Brislen-Hall single to round off the scoring. Michael Boahene was on target with Chingford’s consolation goal.


The highly anticipated match-up of the top two sides in the Premier Division took place on Saturday between the fan-managed United London and reigning champions Chingford Athletic. With a large crowd turning up to watch, including former Football League manager Martin Ling, it was Chingford Athletic who took the spoils, winning comfortably 5-1 to go top of the league. Garry Murray netted twice with Charlie Heatley, Ralph McBaiden and Michael Hay adding further goals to render Simon Omope’s super strike as a mere consolation for United.

Grove United are level with Chingford at the top of the table on goal difference as they edged a tight match with London Falcons 4-3. Harry Chalk, Ben Lowes and Will Pendley all netted to keep their side very much in the title frame.

Another side who are really making a statement again this season are Jolof Sports Club who put paid to Melbourne Sports’ perfect start to the season with a punishing 8-0 win over their opponents, moving up to third in the table in the process. Jeffrey Cobblah was the hero with a hat-trick with their remaining goals scored by Alassane Gomis, Ayman Ahmed, Jesus Paniagua, Muhammed Ndow and Abraham Gassama.

There was a first league win of the season for Lopes Tavares London on Saturday as they travelled to Rainham Working Mens Club and came away big 9-2 winners to secure their first points of the campaign. Jack Lockwood and Diogo Feiteina were the Rainham goalscorers for their consolation goals.

In the division’s final game, there was an exciting 3-3 draw between Old Esthameians and LOASS as the teams shared the goals and the points too. That result was enough to give E’s their first point of the season while, for LOASS, the point took them up to seventh position in the table.


Three Colts remain top of Division One after a recording a fourth win in five games on Saturday, this time a 6-3 win over St Francis to take them three points clear of the chasing pack. Jason Fox proved to be a “fox in the box” with a match-winning hat-trick for the Colts with Richard Blackwell, David Watson and James Kane also finding the onion sack to take home the points. Steven Porter, John Bradley and Jack Hall were the Saints' scorers.

Kitgum Boys maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a narrow 3-2 win over Cowley Community as they moved to second place in the table. Goals from Boris Backer, Isma Bukemya and Valentine Ngaham proved the difference for Kitgum to take home the points with John Hitchens and Gabriel Onireti scoring Cowley's consolation goals.

Two of the league’s new sides this season secured maiden victories as East Ham International saw off St John’s Deaf in a 2-1 win in Buckhurst Hill despite Marios Costi scoring for St John’s. The victory for East Ham lifts them up to fifth place in the table with St Johns slipping bottom.

Also securing a first victory were Ferns Seniors who scooped an impressive 3-2 win away at previously unbeaten Sporting Hackney Reserves to move themselves off the foot of the table. Ferns goals came through strikes from Sean Howe, Chris Wilby and Colin Taylor to secure maximum points and regain that winning feeling.


Ryan Reserves’ terrific start to the campaign in Division Two sees no end in sight as they won 2-0 away at Avondale Rangers to make it a fifth win from five games. Ricky White continues to find the back of the net regularly with his ninth of the season with Marlon Joseph also scoring to take the points back to Chingford.

Colebrook Royals Reserves maintained their own perfect start to the season with a 3-1 win away at Lymore Gardens who saw their own unbeaten record ended in the defeat. Robbie Carter scored all of the Royals’ goals as they closed the gap on the leaders.

There was a first victory of the season for Forest Green on Saturday as goals from Ricky Stewart, Kristos February, Orane Fisher and Marcel Destouche led them to a comfortable 4-0 victory over Old Barkabbeyans Reserves to move up to seventh place in the table.

In the division’s final match, Chigwell Rovers and Chingford Harriers shared the spoils in a rare goal-less draw with Rovers securing their maiden league point at the third attempt.


The biggest winners of the day in Division Three were Wapping who romped to a 9-1 victory against Newham Royals with Fuad Ibrahim netting himself a hat-trick. Abdulwahid Zerkouki scored a double with Karl Blake, Mohammed Hussain, Harry Wright and Asrar Mohammad also scoring.

Custom House were also big winners as they secured a 7-0 win over Royal Forest at Lyle Park. Doubles from Sam Wilkinson, Bradley Routledge and Paul Wooster plus a single for Jack Field secured the points for their side to make it three wins from three matches for them.

There was a first win of the season for St Francis Reserves who won 4-1 away at Wanstead Warriors to move up to eighth in the table in Division Three. A goal apiece for Ryan Jewell, Benjamin George, Josh Hunt and Shayne Aglae carried Saints to victory.

Brentwood United Reserves secured maximum points as they hosted Old Esthameians Reserves in Romford and came away 3-0 winners. That win keeps Brentwood in touch with the leaders with E’s remaining just above the bottom two with a point from their opening fixtures.

And rounding things off in a second goal-less draw of the day, Upminster Reserves and Kitroom took a share each of the spoils as defences reigned supreme in Upminster.

CREDIT: Thank you to Lamo Photography for the use of their photograph

Other News Articles

Return to news list