WEEK 8 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

WEEK 8 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


A new season of Fenton Cup football began on Saturday and two of the league’s top flight sides secured safe passage into the next round, both scoring five in the process. FC Petrocub were the first of those, winning 5-0 at home to CSM London with a strong second half performance. Vasilica-Cristinel Ilie scored twice off the bench adding to efforts from Gheorghe Belibov, Sergio Demcioglo and Ghenadie Moisei.

Over in Dagenham, Brimsdown were the visitors to Premier Division side Soul with the two sides in Preliminary Round action at Castle Green. But it was the Senior side who advanced with a solid 5-1 success. A goal apiece from Solomon Dennis, Napier Brown, Finley Aldridge, Jason Rice and Sterlange Nzeza proved enough to put their side through.


The Trophy competition also got underway and an almost identical set of results saw two Division One sides advanced at the expense of lower league opposition. Newham Wanderers extended their good form in the league into this competition with a 5-1 away win at Emerson & Upminster Reserves. Ryan Whitton scored the Emerson goal but Newham braces from Addai Paponette and Manuel Sanuo, plus an Andre Gomes effort took them through.

Over at Wanstead Flats, Something From Nothing added league cup success to their county cup one last time out as they successfully navigated their way through in the next round with a 5-0 home win against Division Four’s London APSA Under 23s, booking them an away tie at Old Esthameians in round one proper.


The top flight action began on Friday night where Jolof Sports made it five wins from seven so far this season with a solid 2-1 home win against Walthamstow Reserves, though were made to work for the result in the second half. Ndiouga Mara and Alexander Sow both scored for the hosts in the first half before a late Stow free kick made things interesting.

There remains little between the top two sides with FC Baresi ahead on goal difference though were pushed all the way on Saturday against Chadwell Heath Spartans as the leaders edged a 3-2 win at Wodson Park. Edson Lami, Paul Benfield and Tyreece Robertson all netted to overcome Spartan strikes from Samir Aboulainaf and Peter Adeleye.

Lymore Gardens were on the road on Saturday with a trip down to Lakeside to take on Rapid Chingford knowing they needed three points to stay up with the pace. A closely fought game saw the visitors win 2-0 with Bradley Williams and Andre Rashford goals the difference despite an improved showing from a struggling Rapid side.

Another side slowly making their move up the table are Sporting Hackney who made it six games unbeaten in the league, completing a fourth league win with a narrow 2-1 home success against Kit Out London at Wadham Lodge. Tyler Springer and Omri Brinner goals were just enough on the day, overcoming Aourid Ismael’s effort for Kit Out in consolation.

An enthralling game over at Dagenham United saw Woodford East go 3-1 ahead in the game courtesy of two Harry Robinson goals and a Frank Glock strike. But Dagenham fought back first to level with goals from Bailey Hossack, Scott Campbell and Cain Dash, before Chris Mascall’s late strike won them the game in a 4-3 scoreline.

It was a good day for another of the Dagenham based sides where May & Baker EC Reserves’ first game back at their home ground brought them success with a 3-1 success against Frenford Development. Darius Egualeonan scored twice for Baker with Pjetia Doradon netting the other to take all three points.

Also taking all three points were Crookz United who recorded their maiden win at Senior Division level, coming away from Blue Marlin with all three points in a 5-2 scoreline at Fairlop Oak. That result saw them take their points tally up to five for the season, four ahead of their opponents and two from safety.


There were wins for all top four sides in the East division with Aveley Under 23s ahead on goal difference after two wins, defeating Cowley Community at Fords over the weekend in a 4-2 scoreline. Chris Wright and Manasseh Tackie both scored for the hosts but a Millers hat-trick in reply from Aldo Vani and an Ethan Sundar goal won their side the game.

Promoted Fairlop Rovers sit just a goal behind the leaders as they took all three points against Wapping over in Hainault, winning 6-1 to move up to second. Jack Kibblewhite’s hat-trick done the damage with Harry Oliver also scoring two and Frederick Smith one to render a Wapping goal from Juber Ahmed as just consolation.

Chingford Athletic’s good start to the season also continued as their side recorded maximum points at home against Freetown. The hosts were 5-1 winners at Town Mead as Harry Rouse scored twice, adding to goals from Sebastian Gardiner, Mario-Angelino Lipetz and Brandon Dillon. David Saffa grabbed the Freetown goal in reply for the visitors.

RCXI make up the rest of the top four and also have maximum points to date, bouncing back well from their county cup exit to beat Waltham Abbey A at Fords. A goal apiece from Keleenna Onyeaka, Omololu Onabolu and Ayo Matthews were enough on the day as the hosts won 3-1 to keep up their early promotion push.


Over in the West division, North East Lions have cut the deficit at the top to just a point after they put in a solid home performance against Leyton City to win 4-1, their third league win of the season. Jahvarn Steward had struck for City but Romelle Pile’s hat-trick proved pivotal with Mikael Martin also netting for Lions.

That gap at the top was also cut as a result of AEK London seeing an end to their perfect start to the season, London Cranes taking an important point from their home game against the league leaders as the game finished at 1-1. That result ensured that AEK remain top by a point while London Cranes stayed within three points of the leaders also.

There was little between the sides in the division’s other game where Wanstead and Priory Park Rangers battled their way to a share of the spoils. Defences certainly reigned supreme in this one with the game ending in a 0-0 scoreless draw at Wadham Lodge, that being the host’s first point of the season against an unbeaten Rangers outfit.


In Division One, Unitey took full advantage of the leaders being in cup action to move top of the table on goal difference after they edged a close game at home to Old Esthameians. Bubintende Masadi scored twice and Ahmed Dousa once for the hosts to make it two wins from two in the league so far, 3-2 the final scoreline.

Ilford Reserves produced the same outcome in their first league outing of the season, moving fourth after one game with a 3-2 away win on Saturday against Renegade. Nelson Benga and Deimar Cardoso scored for the hosts but those efforts proved in vain as the young Foxes scored three times themselves to return home with the points.

There were nine goals in the division’s other fixture where Redbridge Community made the trip to east London to take on an unbeaten Forest Green side. But it was the visitors who left the happier of the two sides, beating Green in a 6-3 result. Connor Daniel, Andre Emmanuel-De Riggs and Michael Macauley all struck the back of the net but those efforts proved insufficient by the end as Redbridge moved level on points.


There were a plethora of goals in Division Two with Royal Forest in fine form in front of goal with a 16-3 home success against Barking Potters at Roding Valley. Joe Meader scored five, Charlie Palline scored four, Joe Owers bagged a hat-trick, Stanley Kweya bragged two off the bench and one apiece from Martin Cannon and Ayodeji Adelekan finished off a comprehensive performance.

Over in Leyton, there were just the eight goals in the game between the reserves of Lymore Gardens and Woodford East as those sides went into the game three points apart. But that gap was eliminated as Lymore won 5-3 courtesy of goals from Alex Leslie, PJ Marcus, Jonathan Hurrell, Warren Isoka and Johneli Lungikisa. Tom Osmond scored twice off the bench for East with Jordan Lema netting their other.

Over at the Flats, hosts St Francis were looking to get their points tally for the season underway for the new season but were facing an FC Baresi Under 23s side who already had a win on the board. And it was the visitors who made it two wins from three as FC Baresi won 2-1 with Charleston Brown and Zuhayr Amjad goals enough to give them the win.


In Division Three, the game of the day saw the meeting of two of the division’s sides with a perfect record, Newbury East hosting Jolof Sports Reserves at Oaks Park. Chaka Barnett was in the goals once again for East, scoring a hat-trick for the leaders. Junior Milla added two to that with Muhammed Seif and Connor Goom efforts taking them to an impressive 7-2 win.

Flyers Under 21s are up to third spot in the table following promotion and now have two wins from three in the league on the back of a terrific 5-0 home win against Glendale at King George’s. Thomas Davis scored twice for the Romford based side with all three Maydells also on target – Luke, Jack and Sam.

Another of the promoted sides has really impressed following their elevation and Chingford Harriers are now second in the standings with three wins from three, aided by their most recent success  beating Romford Under 21s in a 5-2 scoreline. Harriers goals from Cedric Onchuru, Andrew Bowring and Grant Coy got their side to another three point haul.


The Essex Junior Trophy first round action continued over the weekend Collier Row Wheels producing the one big shock of the day as the Division Four side eliminated Division Three’s Buckhurst Way over at Forest Row. Wheels rolled to a 2-1 success to head into round two.

Old Barkabbeyans were the biggest winners of the day as they ensured safe passage through into the next round, defeating Division Four’s Football Club of Riverside in a 7-0 scoreline at South Park Drive.

There was a great result for Chadwell Heath Spartans Reserves who overcame outside opposition in positive fashion, defeating Danbury Mission in a 6-1 scoreline at Hainault Rec to ensure they made it through into the next round.

Also into the hat for round two are Division Two’s Snaresbrook who made no mistake in their home game against Division Four side Newham & Havering Borough, scoring six goals without reply at Nutter Lane to go through.

Another all-league tie saw Rainham Phoenix make the trip to Ilford to take on Frenford A at The Drive and put their higher league position to the test, coming through in a 3-0 win on the day to put them into the hat.

Melbourne Sports are another of the league’s side to make it through against a lower ranked side in the competition, the Division Three side safely through to the second round on the back of a 4-0 home triumph against Inter London.

The only league side to exit against outside opposition were Dagenham United Reserves who succumbed away at Manford Way Reserves, losing 3-0 on the day against the Olympian League side to exit the competition.

Photo Credit: Kit Out London FC

Other News Articles

Return to news list