WEEK 7 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 7 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The first round action in the Fenton Cup came to a conclusion on Saturday as Debden Park looked to spring a shock on Unitey who were two divisions above them. In a tight game, Unitey managed to avoid a fourth defeat in a row, winning 2-0 through goals from David Blessing and Abdi Mohamed to secure a place in the second round.


In the top flight, CSM London have returned to the top of the table, taking advantage of Chigwell being in county cup action. They made the journey to Noak Hill to face FC Petrocub with just a point separating the sides before kick-off. Micail Koulibaly netted the only goal of the game in a 1-0 victory for CSM.

Moving up to fourth place are Lymore Gardens picked up a third league win of the season with a home win against West Essex Reserves in Chingford. Marcel Destouche done most of the damage with a hat-trick, adding to goals from Dylan Roberts and Mark Offord in a 6-2 victory.

Completing the action in the division, Blue Marlin will have been pleased with their efforts as they took a long trip to Waltham Abbey to face Chingford Athletic Reserves and returned home with all three points in a 2-1 win. Sam Matthews got on the scoresheet for the hosts but his effort was in vain as Marlin edged the win by the odd goal.


There were goals galore in Division One with leaders, Tower United, making a big statement with a 7-4 win over fellow promotion contenders, London Park City. Abubakar Maxamed scored a hat-trick for the leaders with Liban Mahamoud, Kayis Mohamed and Subeer Derria scoring one each to earn a big three points.

Tower’s position was strengthened by points dropped at rivals All Real who went down to a big home defeat against Eastside in Walthamstow. Despite a win against the same opposition last week, roles were reversed with Eastside goals from Michael Morgan (2), Michael Dager, Miguel Dapenticu, Wembi Ghenda and Marcus Odukoya overcame Real efforts from Charles Brown and Jason Mbeleke in a 6-2 scoreline.


In Division Two, Old Esthameians remain top from their seven fixtures so far but didn’t get things all their own way in their clash with Cowley Community in Leyton. Cowley struck three past the leaders but E’s responded with a Lesley Mayo brace and singles from George Coffey, Matt Pemberton and Neil Robinson to return home with the points in a 5-3 win.

Sungate Reserves are one of a number of sides giving a strong chase on the leaders and they wrapped up a third league win at the weekend with a 4-1 win on the road at an in-form Upshire Forest side. Forest’s Aaron is in a “Rich” vain in front of goal recently but his effort couldn’t prevent a defeat as Ryan Bourne, Luke Macdonald, Thomas Drayton and Mark Burgess netted for Gate in reply to maintain their perfect start.

Also keeping up the pace are second placed Rainham Working Mens Club but their own perfect start came to a conclusion as they were held to a 2-2 draw away at Three Colts as the sides settled for a share of the spoils. David Hornsby scored twice for the Workies but Jason Fox and Jack Luck goals split the points.

There was a similar outcome in the game in Romford between hosts, Flyers, and their Melbourne Sports counterparts, two sides locked in mid-table presently after decent starts to the season. These two sides also had to settle for a point apiece as they combined to share four goals in a 2-2 draw.


There were some big results in Division Three on Saturday where Avondale Rangers caused a real stir with a victory at home to a promotion chasing Newham Wanderers side in Hainault. Mussa Jamanca scored for the visitors but Rangers scored twice themselves to edge this close came in a 2-1 victory, their first win of the season.

There was also a first win of the season for newly formed FC Galaxy who followed up a decent debut performance last time out with a victory away at Ilford Development in their match at Fairlop Oak. Mihalache Dumitru, Pogar Daniel and Iulian Udriste scored the all goals to win the match 3-1.

Glendale missed the chance to go clear at the top in a real humdinger at home to Frenford A. Zack Clark’s goal gave the Dales the lead before Frenford levelled before the break through Kyran Chiedozie. Galass Ka then unbelievably struck from over 80 yards out but Chiedozie scored twice more for Frenford to complete a hat-trick. However, Maryis Shamku’s late leveller for Glendale made it 3-3 to share the points.


Game of the day in Division Four came in a top of the table battle between Woodford East and Dagenham United Reserves with just a single point keeping the sides apart leading into the game. East showed their title credentials as William Letchford netted a brace and Billy Barr’s goal completed a 3-0 victory.

Taking advantage of that result, Lymore Gardens Reserves are now up to second place in the table as they made it three wins from their four matches so far with a home win against Newham Royals in Chingford. PJ Marcus, Tyrique Peters and Terrell Lawrence-Newton goals were the difference in the end with a 3-1 taking them to nine points and up a couple of places.

Flyers B had a day to remember as they recorded their first ever point in their fixture at home to Prospect Protégé in Romford. Tom Enever scored twice and Reece Anatole-Liburd once for the visitors but their Prospects were hit as Flyers scored three goals of their to record a 3-3 draw and share the points.

Draws were a popular feature of the Division Four fixture list with another recorded in the game in Hainault between Loughton Lions and Chingford Harriers. There was just one point and two places between the teams before the game and this remained the case at full time with Will Osmond and George Bird efforts for the Lions levelled up by Harriers goals from Nick Shawyer and Stephen Duberry.

Completing the action, yes, another draw! This time between Fairlop Rovers who saw their perfect start to the league season come to an end as they were held to a 2-2 home draw in Barkingside by Together United. That result saw Fairlop slip back to fourth in the table while Together move up to ninth.


There was an impressive performance by Chigwell in Saturday’s Essex Premier Cup as they stepped up to a higher competition and were pitched against step 7 opponents, Canning Town, from the Olympian League. A close game saw Town edge out Chigwell in a 2-1 scoreline to progress on.


Rapid Chingford continued their run in the London Junior Cup with an impressive away win as they made the journey to south West London to take on KCS Old Boys Reserves, coming away with a 5-1 win. They will now be at home to Club Langley in the next round.

Achieving an identical result and outcome were FC Baresi, a side with a real pedigree in this competition and they saw an end to Custom House United’s run in the competition by beating the EAL side 5-1. Baresi now face Canning Town Reserves in next month’s third round.

Puma Kings’ run in this cup came to an end but in an exhilarating fashion with a narrow defeat at home to Club Langley who made the long journey to Walthamstow. Langley returned home with a 4-3 win to their name.

A similar fate was suffered by St Francis had a tough looking trip to previous competition winners, FC Hamlets, from a number of tiers above them. Saints were beaten 3-1 to exit the competition for another year but can do so with heads held high.

The last game of the day came in Leyton where Forest Green were up against south London opposition with Ground Hoppers make the trip up for the tie. Green will have Hopped for a better performance but, alas, their opponents ran out 4-0 winners to take their place in the next round.

Photo: FC Baresi

Other News Articles

Return to news list