WEEK 7 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and county cup football action

WEEK 7 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and county cup football action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The gap at the top of the Senior Division is down to just a single point after DTFC made the most of the leaders being out of action, recording a comfortable 7-0 home win on Saturday against bottom of the table All Prospects. Braces from Jake Kissiedu and Billy Golledge paved the way with Jermaine Francis, Kieran Hipgrave and Kazim Bishop strikes completing the victory.

Lymore Gardens also gained ground on the title chasing sides with a third league win of the season, securing maximum points against London Cranes at Roding Valley in a very tight game. Dylan Roberts’ goal proved to be the only one in the game with his effort helping Lymore to a 1-0 victory.

Third placed West Essex Reserves saw their perfect start reach it’s end as they were held to a draw in the Hainault derby against Chigwell Town. Ross Chimes got himself on the Town scoresheet but West also struck to end the game at 1-1, the teams sharing the points. That result keeps Chigwell sitting in mid-table after seven games of the season.


Game of the day comes from Division One where two of the more defensively sound teams, Woodford East and Chadwell Heath Spartans, were involved in an eleven-goal thriller. East went into the game as league leaders and saw two goals from James Collier plus efforts from Billy Barr, Sean Bellamy and William Letchford. But Spartans braces in reply from Rashid Matabaro and Melvyn Nketia plus Janel Alexander and Rob Hodgson goals ended this epic encounter 6-5 in their favour.

That result therefore handed an advantage to Leyton Royal to make their move at the top and they didn’t disappoint but had to come through a really tough test away at Kit Out London in Noak Hill. Two Bogdan Toana goals proved decisive in a 2-1 victory which sees them move three points clear, Amalraj Kakmanu netting the consolation Kit Out goal.

Also sitting pretty just at the moment are Eastside who hold fourth place in the as they look to maintain their own charge at the top end of the table. They picked up an impressive home win with a 4-0 victory against London Park City. Michael Dager’s double added to single goals from Junior Mandeng-Fotabong and Johnathan Odutulu to round off the win.


Goal difference continues to separate the top two sides in Division Two with Belfry extending that advantage after a 4-1 home win on Saturday against fifth placed Newham Wanderers. Gabriel Ogunwomoju’s brace plus goals from Lewis Rix and Jeremy Lynch were the difference, rendering a Joao Mendes goal as just consolation for Newham.

Cowley Community remain a significant threat at this level and confirmed a fifth league win in six in their own fixture with a hard fought 3-2 win against Chingford Athletic A. Eric Kelly scored his customary goal for Athletic but two Chris Wright efforts plus a Ryan Thompson-Cobham goal helped the Leyton side return home with the points.

It was an important afternoon’s work for Unitey as they recorded their first win of the campaign with a 4-2 away win over Barkingside A in Wanstead. Jacob Dingli scored both of the Side goals but Unitey strikes in reply from Alfred Davies, Akil Agyemang, Sam Owamoboye and David Otley were important for their side to take the points and moved up to ninth place as a result.

Rainham Working Mens Club will also have been happy with their afternoon’s work as they headed along the A13 to face one of the promotion chasing sides, Dagenham United, at Castle Green. In a tight game, it took just a single goal to separate the sides with Sean Tormey the scorer of that crucial moment in the game to earn the Workies a 1-0 victory.

The division’s remaining game came from Newbury Park where Royal Forest were looking to build upon more positive performances recent to move closer to their opponents, Old Esthameians, in the table. The two sides had to settle for a share of the spoils however with a goal apiece in a 1-1 draw, Forest’s effort arriving from Tom Osmond.


In Division Three, there is a five point lead at the top now for FHN Athletic after the leaders picked up a fifth league win in six games with a 6-2 home win against Lymore Gardens Reserves. Two goals each from Cory Regisford and Terron Fordjoe along with singles from Mohamed Sheikhnor and Ose Egbejale proved enough on the day to render Stefan Willis’ brace as consolation for Garden.

Loughton Lions took advantage of results around them to close the gap on sides above after picked up a comfortable 5-0 home win over Epping United. That result sees Lions move fourth and just a point off the sides in second and third respectively while Epping remain tenth in the standings with just a point from three games so far.

Sitting fifth in the table are Glendale who picked up a second league of the season and another 1-0 away victory to boot as they returned home with all three points against winless Flyers Under 23s. The crucial goal arrived in the second half with Maryis Shamku’s free-kick finding the corner of the net to take the points for his side.

Fairlop Rovers maintained their recent momentum with a hugely important win as they beat third placed Old Barkabbeyans Reserves away from home. Rovers scored three without reply to return home 3-0 victors, a result which helped them to a second league win while sending Barks to their first league defeat of the season.

In the final game of the fourth tier, second placed Melbourne Sports were held to a draw as ASA took a second draw in two games. Millensebas Montfort and Bavi Viswa scored the goals for the visitors with Mels netting late on to take a point in a 2-2 draw and keep them five points off the lead.


There is also a five point gap at the top in Division Four where Royal Forest Reserves lead the way with four wins in five so far, aided by their most recent win against an in-form Collier Row A side. Jack Warren and William Asenso goals done the damage for Forest as their strikes carried them to a 2-0 victory.

Second place is presently held by Emerson United Reserves who rounded off the first quarter of their maiden campaign in the competition with a 4-2 win away at Dagenham United Reserves. Michael Whitelock and Lewis Bennett both got on the Dagenham scoresheet but their efforts were in vain as Ross Braybrooke (2), Joshua Gibbins and Joe Reece efforts secured the points.

Newham Royals are up to third place following a big 5-0 home win on Saturday against visitors Brentwood United Reserves. Goals from David Lay, Anthony Adade, Ronald Asante and Andre Peters proved decisive to see them to a second league win and within goal difference of moving into the promotion places.

There were also plenty of goals down in Loughton as Chingford Harriers were the visitors to take on Avondale Rangers. Harriers started the day three points behind their opponents but two Jake Kemp goals plus efforts from Andrew Bowring and Billy Beech confirmed a 4-0 victory for them which carried them up a number of places in the tables.


It was a successful day for our sides in the London Junior Cup with an EAL winner in each tie played. Blue Marlin were the biggest winners of the day with a 6-0 home win against Surrey League side Wanderers Reserves.

FC Baresi also scored six in their first round clash but had a slightly more local derby game as they faced Division Two side Forest Green at Leyton Sixth Form College. Baresi were 6-2 winners in the game to head safely into the next round.

There was one of those famous long away day trips for FC Petrocub who made the trip to south West London to take on Barnes-based Imperial College Old Boys. But their trip was a successful one as they returned home 3-0 victors.

Another Wimbledon League opposition was faced by Jolof Sports although they were the hosts as Yorxeter were the visitors to East Ham. Jolof kept their great start to the season going with a 4-0 win although it certainly was far from an easy contest.

Wapping are also into the hat for round two as they made it through against a previously unbeaten FC Marylebone side from the Middlesex League. With the game ending level at 1-1 after ninety minutes, it was Wapping who held their nerve to win the shootout 4-1.

The remaining game saw an all-EAL clash with Senior Division Rapid Chingford run close by Division Three’s Bailey Football Academy in a local derby. Rapid were the victors by the odd goal in five as they moved into round two with a 3-2 win under their belts.

Other News Articles

Return to news list