WEEK 7 REVIEW: London APSA shock Buckhurst Hill in Fenton Cup

WEEK 7 REVIEW: London APSA shock Buckhurst Hill in Fenton Cup

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

The shock of the season so far was inflicted on Saturday in the Fenton Cup as Division Two side, London APSA, travelled to Premier Division side, Buckhurst Hill Under 21s and won 4-0 to move into the second round. The reward for their win is another tie against a Premier Division outfit which sees them travel to Chingford Town in round 2. Also in the Fenton Cup, Custom House recorded a much needed win as goals from Tim Mason, George Smith, Nathan Williams and Damien Williams carried them to a 5-3 win over Chingford Athletic Reserves. A George Watmough double and a goal for Michael Boahene accounted for the Chingford consolation goals. Melbourne Sports secured safe passage into round 2 with a 3-1 home win over Division Two side Newham Royals. Royals’ strike by Chris Cuming was cancelled out by Mels goals from Ryan Lincoln, Patrick King and Wayne Matthews to book another home tie in the second round.

Reigning champions Chingford Athletic remain top of the Premier Division following a comfortable 4-0 home win over St Francis with the goals arriving through Michael Mignot (2), Tom Pearce and David Livie to open up a four point gap at the top. Rainham Working Mens Club are up to third in the table with their third win of the season secured through a 4-3 win on the road at Blue Marlin, despite goals from James Toppin (2) and Chibueze Anyaegbu for Marlin. May & Baker EC A slipped to a first league defeat of the season with their opponents, London Falcons, recording a first win in a 1-0 scoreline.

In Division One, St John’s Deaf remain top of the table after a 4-2 win against West Essex Reserves. A double from Kimarhie Lee and singles from Marios Costi and James Paull maintained a lead at the top of the table. Also winning were Grove United who came from 2-1 down with half an hour to go to win 5-2 against Glendale. Dales goals from Ed Brotherton and Domenico Tagliamonti were eventually cancelled out by a Harry Chalk double and further strikes from John Hughes, Ben Lowes and Billy Rongay to maintain Grove’s perfect start so far. Kitgum Boys climb to fourth in the table following a 7-2 demolition of Flyers, with Luke Appleton and Tony Worrall on target for the latter. Forest Green recorded a first point of the campaign as they drew 1-1 against Cowley Community with Michael Konis netting for Cowley.

Both of Division Two’s remaining unbeaten records went on Saturday as Inter Plaistow defeated Singh Sabha Barking 2-0 through goals from Samuel Garrett and Rasheen Allen to lift their side to fourth in the table. Northend were the other side to see an unbeaten record end as they suffered a 5-0 reverse to Leyton Green who move up to the heady heights of sixth in the table after a difficult start. Doubles from Fermat Ordogan and Luke McKenzie plus a further strike from Anthony Ferdinand secured the points for Green.

In the AFA Challenge Cup first round proper, our sole representatives, Jolof Sports Club, recorded a good 5-3 win at South London based Old Crosbeians to make the draw for round 2.

Other News Articles

Return to news list