WEEK 5 REVIEW: Wins for London APSA and St Johns Deaf see them go top

WEEK 5 REVIEW: Wins for London APSA and St Johns Deaf see them go top

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

Rainham Working Mens Club have moved off the foot of the table in the only Premier Division match of the day securing their first win of the season. A 4-2 victory over London Falcons was confirmed with Joshua Perry and Tony Hall each bagging a brace to carry their side to victory.

St John's Deaf moved top of the table in Division One following a ten goal thriller which saw them prevail 6-4 against Cowley Community. A Cowley hat-trick from Mark Farinha and a single strike from Tommy Kavaz proved not enough eventually as St John's ran out winners with goals from Huseyin Er (2), James Paull, Memnos Costi, Matthew Byfield and Rowan Dixon. Kitgum Boys picked up their first ever win with a 4-1 win over Chingford Harriers for whom Edwin Jabbari was on target with the consolation strike. Rounding up the Division One action, Flyers made it two wins from three games following a 3-2 win over winless Forest Green with Lee Hattam, Neil Hankin and Michael Saunders scoring the goals that moves them to fifth in the table.

London APSA have gone top of the table in Division Two after a comprehensive 7-1 win at home to Newham Royals on Saturday and now top the table by two points ahead of second placed Singh Sabha Barking.

The Fenton Cup got underway this weekend with the holders, Chingford Athletic, in action away at Leyton Green from Division Two. Goals from Tom Pearce, Michael Mignot, David Livie and a cleansheet performance from Jack Francis saw them through comfortably winning 3-0 and booking a tie against either Glendale or Flyers Reserves in the next round. In an all-Premier Division tie, May & Baker EC A hosted St Francis and came away 5-2 winners despite a brace from Kyle Bennett for the Saints. Baker’s win secures them a second round tie against either Custom House or Chingford Athletic Res. In a goal-filled tie between Northend and Blue Marlin, it was the high ranked Blue Marlin who prevailed with a 6-2 win confirmed through goals from Rorie McKenzie (2), Matthew Hamilton (2), James Toppin and Myron Stoby while Max Skimmings and Stanley Eze found the net for the hosts. They will now face St Francis Res or Three Colts in the next round.

There was mixed success in the Essex County FA cup competitions with a few of our sides confirming places in the next round. In the Essex Junior Cup, Melbourne Sports demolished Essex Olympian League outfit, Benfleet Reserves, winning 8-1 to book a home tie against Pro Essex in round 2. Chingford Town battled valiantly but saw their participation ended with a 4-2 defeat at home to Corinthians.

In the Essex Junior Trophy, there were wins for West Essex Reserves who ran out comfortable 9-1 winners at Beacon Hill Rovers Reserves to book a second round clash against Danbury Mission. Grove United were on the road at Haver Town Reserves and won 3-1 to book a tie at Southend Collegians Reserves in round 2. Buckhurst Hill Under 21s received a walkover from their opponents Baddow Athletic which gave them an easy passage to round two where they will face Valley Green.. On the wrong end of results however were Inter Plaistow who lost 7-1 at Ryan Under 21s and Chingford Athletic Reserves who held firm for ninety minutes against Harold Wood Athletic B but lost out 1-0 in extra time. In-form Singh Sabha Barking travelled to Brentwood United but were eliminated in a 3-2 defeat while Glendale lost 2-1 late on to Braintree & Bocking United Reserves when extra time was looming in the depths of the north Essex countryside.

Next weekend, the Fenton Cup continues with no fewer than seven ties taking place. The London FA Junior Cup competition also continues with St Francis, Custom House and Buckhurst Hill Under 21s all faced with long journeys ahead.

Other News Articles

Return to news list