WEEK 5 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 5 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The Fenton Cup action continued on Saturday with two further ties completed. There was a shock of sorts in the clash in Barkingside where Fairlop Rovers saw their unbeaten start come to a halt as they took on fellow Division Four unbeaten side, Loughton Lions. A goal each for Alex Nicoll and Will Osmond were the difference between the teams as the Lions secured a 2-0 win and a place in round two.

In the day’s other tie, this was a little more routine as Division Two’s Upshire Forest safely secured their place in the next round when they played host to Division Four’s Flyers B in their clash in Waltham Abbey. Callum Godfrey was on fire for Forest with a four-goal haul, Aaron Rich scored twice and a Leighton Hughes-Franklin strike completed a 7-1 win.


CSM London remain top of the Senior Division standings after five weeks of the season after they recorded a third win in five on Saturday, beating ninth placed Lymore Gardens, in a 5-2 win. Dylan Roberts and Dushane Powell scored the Garden goals but Micail Koulibaly’s hat-trick done the damage in reply, adding to Plamedi Kinsela and Martin Ibitola goals in CSM’s win.

Staying second are FC Petrocub who made it three wins from four so far this season with a hard-fought 2-1 victory at home against West Essex Reserves in Noak Hill. Valentin Siciov and Pavel Stirbu netted the goals for the hosts to see their side over the line to earn maximum points once again.

Sitting in third on goal difference are Chigwell who have the same points tally as Petrocub after they picked up a 2-0 home win against bottom of the table Rapid Chingford in Hainault. After a goalless first half, two second half strikes from the hosts enabled them to keep up the pace of the leaders as the second month of action continues.

The highest scorers in the division are fourth placed FC Baresi who made it seventeen goals in just four games when they put two past London Cranes on Saturday in Walthamstow courtesy of Qasuim Zaidi and Tyler Kirby. They did however concede two though as the two sides had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Moses Makanga and Pius Lutaaya scoring for Cranes.

There was a similar outcome in the division’s remaining action over in Newbury Park where Blue Marlin and East Ham Inter battled it out for a share of the spoils, the sides both netting twice in another 2-2 draw. Inter are sixth following that result with Marlin securing their first point of the season.


Tower United continue their impressive start to life in the league but saw their perfect start to the season end as they had to settle for a share of the points in their away clash against Eastside on Saturday. Abubakar scored twice and Abdisemed Giama once for United but Side replies from Joseph Andrews, Michael Dager and Wembi Ghenda levelled it up at 3-3 on the day.

If you want goals, All Real are the side to watch having rattled in eighteen in their first four games, albeit seeing sixteen conceded at the other end too. They were 8-4 winners in their match at home to Forest Green on Saturday where Rio Modeste and John Ateko netted braces. Emmanuel Adebayo, Usman Abubakar, Tristan Jones and Jason Mbelek got the others to complete a big win.

The one remaining side with a perfect record in the second tier are London Park City who made it two wins from two when they played host to Sporting Hackney Development in their clash in Ilford over the weekend. Timi Oluwole grabbed the Hackney goal but his efforts were in vain as City won 2-1 to take the points.

Opening their points account for the season, Tower Hamlets Reserves put a sticky start to the season aside to secure a first win. They were up against All Prospects on Saturday where Bishop Lutula’s brace and a Tiago Santos goal were the difference to help Hamlets to record a 3-1 win.


The race in Division Two looks to be hotting up where Old Esthameians currently lead the way after they made it three wins from five on Saturday with a home win against Melbourne Sports in Newbury Park. Chris Brooker scored both of the goals for the league leaders to win 2-0 and maintain a point lead at the top.

With games in hand, Rainham Working Mens Club are just a point behind and made it three wins from three over the weekend when they beat struggling Cowley Community 6-2 at the County Ground. Sean Tormey was in-form, netting a hat-trick for the Workies with Ben Perry and Michael Aramide efforts rounding off the win.

Moving up to fourth place and still sporting a perfect record so far, Sungate Reserves were up against the early season pace-setters, Unitey. After three opening wins, Unitey have now lost two on the spin as Sam Cooper’s brace earned Gate a 2-1 win at Ilford Wanderers, moving to within three points of their opponents with three games in hand.

Flyers are up to fifth place in the standings as the Romford based side earned themselves a second league win of the season with an away win against Puma Kings in Walthamstow. Flyers netted five past Kings, conceding just twice in reply to make their move up the league tables.


Remaining top of Division Three are Chadwell Heath Spartans although their lead was cut on Saturday when they faced Ilford Development in Hainault. Spartans had led 2-0 until late in the game with Ryhan Sroka and Jeffrey Nketia goals giving them the lead but the young Ilford side rescued a point late on in dramatic fashion to end the game 3-3.

Glendale are up to second place as they overcame Custom House United in a second half thriller. Valter Correia’s strike midway through the first half gave them the lead until late in the game before the Dockers levelled. Kieran Roland’s penalty regained the Dales lead but a Custom House late free-kick seemingly ended rescued a point. But Maryis Shamku’s header in the dying moments of injury time gave Glendale a 3-2 victory.

There was a first league defeat of the new season for Flyers Development who went down to a 4-1 away defeat on Saturday against Newham Wanderers at the Flats. A hat-trick for Shazib Miah done the majority of the damage for Wanderers with Robertson Morais’ effort completing the win to see their side up to fourth in the table.

Completing the action in Division Three, St Francis earned their side a first league win of the season when they travelled to Hainault to face Avondale Rangers over the weekend. In a close game, just a single goal from Carl Vernage was enough for the Saints to win 1-0 and take home the points, moving their side into sixth place in the standings as a result.


Dagenham United Reserves moved themselves two points clear of the chasing pack in Division Four but were ultimately held to a disappointing 2-2 draw. They were up against league new boys, Together United, with the latter rescuing a point late on in the game, to open their account.

Woodford East made their move up to third place in the table over the weekend as they maintained their perfect start to the season with a thumping 6-1 away win over Newham Royals in Chadwell Heath. Billy Grainger netted for the Royals but his effort proved just consolation as Billy Barr scored a hat-trick for East with Jack Smith, William Letchford and Reece Beaumont efforts rounding things off.

Another side to get their points tally underway are Lymore Gardens Reserves who made it one win and one defeat from their opening two games after beating their Brentwood United Reserves counterparts in Chingford. Akil Roberts scored twice with Emmanual Nwaohai, Terrell Lawrence-Newton and Dwayne Gumbs goals completing a 5-3 victory for their side.


Debden Park were the day’s sole representation in the Essex Junior Trophy as they became the first side into the hat for our round three of the competition following a goal-filled encounter with former Ilford & District League side, Durning. Park were 6-4 winners on the day and will now face BKS Sports or South Essex United in the next round.

Photo: Lamo the Lion

Other News Articles

Return to news list