WEEK 35 REVIEW: Review of all the league and cup action from the weekend

WEEK 35 REVIEW: Review of all the league and cup action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


It was London Cup final action on Friday evening for FC Petrocub who returned to the county cup final stage once again this season, taking on London Hibernian at Haringey Borough. Behind early, the EAL side struggled to get a foothold in the game against an energetic and quality opposition, trailing 4-0 by the break. An improved second half saw them have some improved spells but the damage had been done and the final scoreline of 6-2 was a disappointing yet fair scoreline. Well done to all of the FC Petrocub boys on having reached the final once again.


The first Fenton Cup finalist was confirmed over the weekend as Rapid Chingford secured their place in the showpiece final after a solid 6-1 winning performance away at Frenford A. Isima Iguisi struck the Frenford goal but his efforts proved in vain as Sorin Tudose netted twice and Bogdan Ivancia, Andrei Boga, Tita Daniel and Darwin Romero also got on the scoresheet to book their place at Leyton Orient.


In the Premier Division Cup, the day’s early kick off saw North East Lions taking on London Park City in the final last eight tie, the sides battling to a 1-1 draw by full time in Seven Kings. Louis Blake scored the Lions goal but City levelled shortly after to take it to a shootout. An early missed penalty put London Park in the ascendency and they never gave up that position, winning the shootout 5-3.


The semi-final line-up in the Division Three Cup is now finalised as Old Barkabbeyans Reserves ensured they have a chance of silverware this season, ending Buckhurst Way’s run in the competition with a 4-1 result. Jay Elliott scored twice, Robbie Osborne and Michael Ryder netting the others to put their side just ninety minutes away from a possible final.


The battle to avoid the drop in the Senior Division will go to the last week of fixtures as Tower United moved out of the relegation zone for the first time in a number of months as they defeated FC Baresi in a 4-1 scoreline in Hackney. David Appiah had scored for FC Baresi but his efforts were not quite enough as Tower gave themselves a big chance of staying in the division.

Over in Hainault, that result was bad news for Blue Marlin who moved into the bottom two for the first time in a while as they went down 2-1 at home against Jolof Sports at Fairlop Oak. Papa Ndiaye scored twice for the visitors to give them the advantage and, despite a Blue Marlin fight back, they couldn’t take anything from the game.

The game at Cricklefields saw Lymore Gardens as the hosts to a Kit Out London side with the two sides seeking a strong finish to their respective campaigns. Tyrique Peters, Alex Coster and Andre Rashford were all on target for Gardens, rendering Oliver Holmes’ goal as just consolation in a 3-1 scoreline.


A huge game in the Premier Division promotion race saw Oakside facing Crookz United in a crucial game for themselves and the teams around them. With ‘Side having taken a point when the sides met a fortnight ago, this time it was Crookz United who took home the points with a 2-0 success in Walthamstow, meaning Oakside now need victory in their remaining game to finish as runners-up.


Belfry are now just one game from completing an unbelievable feat after they recorded win number twenty one in succession on Saturday with a comprehensive 7-0 winning performance away at Ilford Reserves. Kieran James scored four goals for his side, Gabriel Ogunwomoju struck twice and Soloman Ogunwomoju netted the other. Second placed RCXI stand in the way of a perfect season.


Division Two saw a goal fest of a weekend where Fairlop Rovers moved a point closer to the title but could only share the spoils in an epic 5-5 draw away at Emerson & Upminster Reserves. Archie Pitfield scored a hat-trick, Tobi Onafeko and Alfie Jones scoring the others for Emerson in their final game but Rovers took a point with Jack Kibblewhite and Dylan Scutt netting twice and Logan Simmonds one.

And that wasn’t the highest scoring game of the day as Royal Forest and Old Esthameians combined for a twelve goal thriller in their game at Roding Valley High School. Forest went into the game with a five point deficit on their opponents and that remained by full time as the sides completed a 6-6 draw to take a point each.

Rainham Working Mens Club ensured their own quest for the title will go to another week at least as they came through a tough challenge against an in-form St Francis side. Cameron Shakes scored a hat-trick with Sean Tormey and Nathan Wilson netting the others to give the Workies the points in a 5-2 win.

Second placed Unitey completed their season with a solid performance as they saw off Newbury East in a 6-1 success in Loughton to give themselves an outside chance of a promotion finish this term. Ahmed Dousa was the man in form with a hat-trick, Devontae Young, Eddy Litambolo and Bubintende Masadi striking the others to render Conor Goom’s goal as just consolation.


The league champions, FC Baresi Under 23s, were in action with their penultimate game of the season as they faced a Together United side keen to finish as high as they can. Hamza Shire scored the Baresi goal but they slipped to their first defeat of the season in the league as their opponents got it “Together” to produce a 3-1 winning performance.

Other News Articles

Return to news list