WEEK 29 REVIEW: APSA champions, Fenton Cup Final line-up confirmed

WEEK 29 REVIEW: APSA champions, Fenton Cup Final line-up confirmed

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

On a glorious Spring weekend, the first league champions of the 2015/16 were crowned as Division Two reached it’s conclusion. London APSA went into the game needing maximum points against the league’s bottom side, St Francis Reserves, however Saints belied their league position to put in a spirited, battling performance to keep the champions elect at bay right until the very last. With just minutes to go, a shot from 12 yards squirmed through a crowd and nestled into the net to provoke scenes of celebration as APSA held on to secure the title. Congratulations to everybody at the club.

Meanwhile, a few miles away, the Fenton Cup semi-finals were taking place simultaneously as Chingford Athletic hosted May & Baker EC A and Grove United played host to Rainham Working Mens Club. At Leyton Sixth Form College, May & Baker EC A were ahead first as Jack Boys headed Baker into the lead before Michael Mignot levelled before the break. A stunning goal from Gary Murray took Chingford ahead as he netted from inside his own half before Mignot’s late second confirmed the result and a place in the final for Chingford Athletic.

In the other semi final, Division One leaders Grove United, fresh from securing a place in their divisional cup semi final last weekend, took on a revitalised Rainham Working Mens Club side who have shown great signs of improvement in this campaign in the Premier Division. Defences were very much on top as the game ended 0-0 and headed into the dreaded penalty shootout, which saw Rainham run out 5-4 winners to book their place at Dagenham & Redbridge on 9th May.

Blue Marlin’s title hopes were all but ended at the weekend as Melbourne Sports pulled off a 3-0 win over their local rivals to take the points. Goals from Wayne Matthews, Greg Justham and Jordan Green were enough to take the Mels over the line and most likely to Premier Division survival this season.

In Division One, Three Colts kept up their assault on the league title with a 4-2 home victory over Cowley Community. Goals from Richard Blackwell, Joe Collins, James Kane and Thomas Jakob carried the Colts to maximum points and to within six points of Grove with two games in hand. In the other game, a brace from Neil Hankin and a strike from Robert Ashdown were enough for Flyers to win 3-1 at home to Chingford Harriers and move off the bottom of the table. Harrier’s top scorer, Edwin Jabbari, was the man on the mark with their consolation goal.

St John's Deaf were in national cup action once again this weekend as they took on Charlton in the English Deaf Football Club semi final and came away 6-4 winners in a goal-filled match. Their reward is a place in the national final where they will take on Fulham Deaf. Further details of this final will be made available once it is confirmed.

Next weekend, a further three cup semi finals take place as the Premier Division Cup reaches it’s conclusion with May & Baker EC A hosting Chingford Town and Rainham Working Mens Club facing league leaders, Jolof Spots Club. In the Division One Cup semi final, Flyers take on Grove United with the winners booking their place at Dagenham & Redbridge in May.

Other News Articles

Return to news list