WEEK 28 REVIEW: Blue Marlin take Division One Championship

WEEK 28 REVIEW: Blue Marlin take Division One Championship

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

The first title of the season was confirmed this weekend as Blue Marlin took the Division One crown following defeat for rivals Northend. It’s probably not the way they envisaged being confirmed as champions but, nonetheless, it caps a fine season for the boys from Barkingside who can now focus on reaching the Division One Cup final. Well done to everybody at Blue Marlin FC.

The Fenton Cup ties saw Division Two high-flyers Leyton Green travel to face Premier Division Melbourne Sports in a re-rerun of last season’s League Cup final in which Green won. A single goal scored just a couple of minutes from time for the Mels by Marcus Hill was just enough to separate the sides and send Melbourne into the quarter finals to face Grove United. In the other tie, Three Colts also managed to book a quarter final place as they defeated fellow Division One side St John’s Deaf 4-1 to book a tie at Cranes United. Jason Fox bagged a brace for Colts with Fabian Donovan and Kane Beaumont rounding off the scoring.

Bottom of the table Rainham Working Mens Club were the biggest winners of the day in the Premier Division as they defeated Chingford Harriers 4-1 despite a David Fairlie goal for the Harriers. Rainham are now six points from safety with four games remaining to avoid the drop. Goals from Michael Mignot and Maamoon Khan led Chingford Athletic to victory winning 2-0 at AAH Romford to close the gap on May & Baker EC A to nine points with the top two sides facing each other next weekend. Chingford Town were 1-0 winners against Jolof Sports Club, moving up two places to sixth in the process.

In Division One, there was just one fixture this weekend as Daniel Vearer’s brace and a single from Nathan Scarborough were enough for Vittoriosa Falcons to see off promotion contenders Northend in a 3-1 win. Shomari Barnwell was on target with Northend’s consolation but it wasn’t enough to prevent Blue Marlin winning the league title in a result which also re-opens the race for promotion.

Grove United return to the summit of Division Two after a closely fought 3-2 win at Singh Sabha Barking with Harry Chalk (2) and Jamie Pooley netting for the league leaders and Barni Lakhan and Jordan Hamilton scoring for Barking. With just three games to go, Grove will need at least two wins from those fixtures to seal the title at the first attempt. West Essex will hope to be party poopers! Mark Gaudoin and Marcel Byfield were the scorers as St Francis Res initially led but had to come from behind to bag a point in a 2-2 draw against Newham Royals.

Other News Articles

Return to news list