WEEK 27 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

WEEK 27 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The last of the Fenton Trophy second round ties produced a shock at the weekend as Division Three’s Newbury East took out higher league opposition in the form of Old Barkabbeyans, defeating the visitors in a 4-2 scoreline. Chaka Barnett was the difference, bagging a hat-trick, Malcolm Ennin netting the other to render Old Barks goals from Josh Robinson and Luke Harradine as consolation.


The Senior Division action began in midweek at The Drive where May & Baker EC Reserves were the visitors to face Frenford Development, starting the game seven points apart in the top half of the table. It was the tale of two substitutes as Shanlon Thomas’ strike off the bench for Frenford was levelled through Ricardo Teixeira’s effort for Baker in an eventual 1-1 draw.

There were weekend wins for each of the top three sides where Brimsdown maintained their three point lead at the top of the table with a 3-1 home victory against Lymore Gardens in Wormley. That was the hosts’ fifteenth win of the season and, with ten games to play, they will hope to remain at the summit.

Over at Lakeside Sports Ground, second placed Woodford East earned themselves a valuable win by the odd goal, eventually edging fifteenth placed Rapid Chingford in a 2-1 result to take all three points home with them. Billy Barr and Andrew Rowe both got on the scoresheet for East to keep themselves within three points of the leaders.

It was a vital three point haul for FC Baresi too who can still move second with their game in hand, aided by their most recent success, a 3-1 home win against Kit Out London at Wodson Park to make it fourteen wins for the season. A goal apiece from Korede Da Silva, Noyan Tajbakhsh and Paul Benfield won it for the promotion chasing side to keep themselves well in the mix.

May & Baker EC Reserves have broken into the top six this week, picking up an eleventh win of the campaign on the back of a single goal victory against local rivals Dagenham United. An early goal for Gabriel Odili proved to be vital for Bakers who held on to win the game 1-0, moving sixth with twelve games of the season to go.

There were some big results affecting things at the other end of the table where bottom side Blue Marlin picked up just their second win of the season in the league, producing a stunning 4-1 away performance to beat Walthamstow Reserves at Wadham Lodge. That saw them reduce the gap to safety to ten points although they will need a repeat of that performance to keep them up.

Two other relegation threatened sides also picked up vital wins with Crookz United’s success at home against Chadwell Heath Spartans particularly impressive given the visitor’s recent form, United coming away winners in a 2-1 scoreline. Peter Adeleye was on target for Spartans but his goal was just consolation in the end, Crookz moving to within two points of safety above them.

Over at Fairlop Oak, another side doing their chances no harm were Oakside who secured themselves a vital three points against a top half side with a 3-1 home win against Frenford Development. Oakside’s win was their sixth of the season and moved them up as high as eleventh following an improved run of form.

A six-goal thriller rounds things off in the top flight where an in-form FC Petrocub side were up against Sporting Hackney at Noak Hill, the hosts beginning the day eight points behind the Parrots. A topsy-turvy game saw it finish in a 3-3 draw, both sides adding another point to their records in their respective campaigns.


The first semi-finalist in the Premier Division Cup was confirmed over the weekend and saw CSM London continue a strong season, defeating last season’s finalists, London Park City, by the odd goal to move just ninety minutes away from another final. It was Richie Danquah who proved to be the difference, netting both goals in a 2-1 scoreline.


The division’s top two sides warmed up for their potential title showdown next weekend with a pair of wins, Underscore United’s lead at the top remaining at three points after they came away from Town Mead with all three points following a 2-1 success against Waltham Abbey A, their thirteenth win of the season.

Rivals Chingford Athletic were in action just a few yards away on a different pitch and their tilt at the title received a boost with a strong 6-0 win against the early season leaders, RCXI. A stunning five-goal performance from Dylan Scutt led the way for his side, Luke Newbury-Neale netting the other to complete a vital win.

With just over half of their league games still to play, Aveley Under 23s remain a possible threat to the top two sides in the division as they overcame a higher placed side on Saturday, beating Fairlop Rovers 2-0 in Hainault. Kyle Brand and Sola Adebo scored the Millers’ goals for the visitors, just a single defeat to their name this term.


Draws were the theme of the day in the West division where Priory Park Rangers extended their lead a little at the top although were held to a 1-1 draw against eighth placed G7, despite a twenty-seven point gap between the sides going into the fixture. That took Rangers’ points tally onto thirty-nine with a game remaining, giving hope to the two chasing sides who have games in hand.

There was another draw in the game in Walthamstow where North East Lions’ kept their hold on fourth place with a 2-2 scoreline against Soul at Peter May Sports Centre.  Ahret Tunc and substitute Mehdadul Kazi both struck for the hosts but their seventh placed opponents took a point, scoring twice themselves in the game.

There were six goals shared over in East Ham on Saturday where London Cranes and Leyton City played out an entertaining game in a 3-3 draw at Flanders, starting and ending the day with three points between them. Liam Kennedy struck twice and Jahvarn Steward once to give City their share of the spoils by the end.

The division’s only win was a vital one for Athletic Newham Under 23s who earned just a second league win of the season to keep their hopes alive of beating the drop, defeating fellow strugglers Wanstead in a 2-1 scoreline, a result which relegates Wanstead who only have one game of their season remaining.


In Division One, it was another winning afternoon for the present leaders, Newham Wanderers, who came through a potentially tricky assignment at home against Eagles Football with all three points following a 5-2 victory at the Flats. Roberton Morais’ brace plus one apiece from Joao Mendes, Addae Paponette and Lukas Ziausys done the damage to keep them clear at the top.

On an adjacent pitch, title rivals Something From Nothing had to be content with a share of the spoils as they were held to a 1-1 score draw against Unitey, leaving SFN with a nine point deficit to chase down in their remaining games. Micah Innocent struck for the hosts with Glody Blessing netting for Unitey in reply.

Old Esthameians went into their home fixture against Atholl holding a two point lead over their in-form visitors, both sides still remaining in danger of the drop. And it will be Old E’s who came away the happier of the two sides, recording a 4-1 home victory to move clear on danger and into sixth place in the standings.

Another key game towards the bottom of the division saw Renegades pick up a vital third win of their season as they came away winners in a 5-3 scoreline against Kwanzas London Sport at the Marshes. That saw the hosts move a point clear of the danger zone with three games of their season to go.


It was quarter-final day for four sides in Division Two at the weekend where Snaresbrook put themselves just ninety minutes away from a cup final appearance with a 4-1 away success against Woodford East Reserves in Hackney. A goal each from Scott Hill, Daniel Tesfay, Harry Prince and Yevhen Zhyvka were the difference between the sides on the day to give ‘Brook the win.

Joining Snaresbrook in the last four will be Chadwell Heath Spartans Reserves who secured themselves a place at that stage on the back of a solid win of their own, defeating FC Baresi Under 23s despite a league defeat against the same opponents a fortnight ago. Denis Musteata and Owen Rami both struck for Spartans in a 2-1, overcoming Kamal Fousseni’s goal for Baresi.


In Division Three, Jolof Sports Reserves remain in pole position to take the runners-up spot with two games of their season to go, taking a vital three points from their away trip to Dagenham United Reserves. Jolof were 3-2 winners as Derek Adu scored twice and Kelechi Dyke once, overcoming Dagenham goals from Silas Afriyie and Isa Khan.

Frenford A remain the side who could still catch the promotion rivals albeit goal difference will most likely prove a hinderance, the Ilford based sides returning home with all three points with a narrow 3-2 success at Glendale on Saturday. Elidon Selmani’s brace won the game with Adam Andrade scoring the other, overcoming Dales efforts from Seyi Agboola and Anton Maclean.

Moving up into fourth place with three games remaining, Melbourne Sports made the long journey down to Lakeside to visit Football Club of Riverside on Saturday and took home the points with them after bagging a 4-2 win. Alfred Sylmeta and Sion Daley both scored for the hosts but those efforts proved in vain, six games left in their season to avoid the drop.


In the Division Four Cup, the final two semi-finalists were confirmed in the competition with Old Esthameians Reserves making it a good day for the club, following their first team’s win with one of their own, defeating Emerson & Upminster Reserves in a 3-0 scoreline in Newbury Park to set up a last four clash with Avondale Rangers.

And joining those sides in the semi-finals, Fairlop Rovers Reserves are now just ninety minutes away from a place in the cup final as they earned themselves a solid 4-1 away win against Flyers Under 23s in Romford, netting themselves a shot at a final, drawn now to face Romford Under 19s in the last four.


The leaders in Division Four, Romford Under 19s, missed the chance to take the title at the weekend as they lost their unbeaten record with a 2-1 home defeat against Collier Row Wheels at Westlands. Wheels rolled to the win with goals from Nathan Elgie and Tafari Miller, Stephen Toussaint striking the Romford goal in reply. Victory next weekend will however be enough for the leaders.

Photo Credit: CSM London FC

Other News Articles

Return to news list