WEEK 26 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

WEEK 26 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


As the season reached the six month mark in Week 26, the penultimate quarter-finalist in the Fenton Trophy was confirmed over in Leyton where Division Two’s Lymore Garden Reserves were up against Division Three’s Buckhurst Way on Saturday. But it was the higher ranked Lymore who went safely through, Rayshun Codner scoring twice, Johneli Lungikisa and Lee Benjamin netting the others in a  4-1 win.


There was midweek quarter final action in the Senior Division Cup competition last week where a barnstorming last eight tie saw Frenford Development head into the semi-finals after a dramatic shootout win against Rapid Chingford. The game had ended at 4-4 with Kyron Chiedozie scoring twice, one each from Carlos Barahona and Jhon Castillo rounding off their scoring. Alin Cosma’s hat-trick for Rapid and a Bogdan Ivancia effort proved just consolation as the hosts ran out victors.

Over at Noak Hill on Wednesday night, county cup finalists FC Petrocub were looking to round off a terrific week for the club as they played host to Oakside in their own quarter-final tie. And it was the hosts who produced the winning performance, scoring all three of their goals in a dominant first half to win 3-0, despite an improved ‘Side showing in the second half. Valeriu Gurgurov scored two and Vasilica Ilie the other to put their team through to another semi-final.


The Senior Division action started almost a week ago on Monday evening as Woodford East were looking to bounce back from their defeat last Saturday with a difficult looking trip to north London to take on Lymore Gardens. And it was a game that had little between the sides, Harry Robinson scoring the East goal as the sides finished locked at 1-1.

Moving forward to Friday night and Lymore were back in action once again with another home clash as Walthamstow Reserves were this time the visitors to Coles Park, the two sides producing a terrific nine-goal thriller. The hosts led 4-0 before a Stow fightback made it 4-3, Lymore scoring a fifth to render another visitors goal as just consolation at the end of a great contest.

There were some big results on Saturday afternoon where Woodford East were able to take advantage of sides dropping points, moving second following success in a nine-goal thriller in a 5-4 success at Kit Out London. Harry Robinson’s form continued with a hat-trick, Billy Barr and Callum Maltese netting the others. Kit Out goals from Rio Mudhar-Hedley, Amalraj Kakumanu, Felicien Bradeo and Hugo Amaral had given them hopes of taking something away.

Over in Dagenham, the league leaders were in action with a trip to a May & Baker EC Reserves side who have certainly produced in some big games recently. And this was no exception as they were able to hold Brimsdown to a 0-0 draw, that result enough to keep Brimsdown top for another week while Baker dropped a place to seventh.

The other result affecting things towards the top end saw Chadwell Heath Spartans take on FC Baresi down at Lakeside, the sides starting the day nineteen points apart from each other. But it was Spartans who scored the only goal of the day, Meer Ishanzadeh notching for his side to hand them a valuable three points against the promotion chasers and lifting his side up into ninth place.

There was an equally big game at the other end of the table as two co-tenants met at Fairlop Oak with Blue Marlin the hosts to face an Oakside outfit looking to bounce back from midweek defeat. And it was ‘Side who will have left the happier of the two teams, moving out of the relegation zone with a 3-1 win to their name.

Another big six-pointer came from Walthamstow where two further relegation-threatened clubs faced each other over the weekend with Crookz United hosting Rapid Chingford at Peter May. And it was the visitors who gave themselves the advantage over their rivals, moving three points clear of them with a 3-1 success. Alin Cosma scored twice and Vlad Bucur once to confirm a valuable three points.

Over at The Drive, a couple of in-form sides went head-to-head with Frenford Development and FC Petrocub both looking to following up cup victories in midweek with valuable points in the league. It was the visitors who will have left the far happier of the sides, FC Petrocub producing a 4-0 victory to continue their good run of form in all competitions.


In the Premier Division Cup, there were two ties played over the weekend with last year’s Fenton Trophy winners, Fairlop Rovers, booking themselves a place in the quarter-finals of this competition with a solid win on the road away at Athletic Newham Under 23s. Harry Oliver scored twice, Jayden Francis and Jack Kibblewhite netting the others as Rovers won 4-1 on the day.

There was a closely fought battle in another of the day’s ties where two ‘East’ sides met in Dagenham with Waltham Abbey A the visitors to face the current holders, Wapping, at Castle Green. The teams produced a five-goal thriller with Abbey edging the tie by the odd goal despite Wapping goals from Lee Brown and Darren Sosanya.


It’s as you were at the top of the Premier Division East where both of the top two secured wins to keep them clear of the rest. Underscore United were 3-1 winners over in Dagenham as they hosted a London Park City side who were off the back of a win themselves. But Underscore were able to run in a twelfth win of the season to keep themselves three points clear at the top.

That side sitting three points behind are Chingford Athletic who remain unbeaten and with two games in hand, aided by their most recent success with a home win against Barkingside Under 23s at Town Mead. Athletic had Danyal Arshad, Jack Newbury-Neale and Ronan McGoldrick to thank as their goals set up a 3-1 win, their tenth in the league this term.


It remains a three-way battle for the two promotion places in the West division where CSM London’s gradual rise through games in hand sees them up to within four points of the promotion places, their latest success being a 3-1 win on the road away at G7 on Saturday. Richie Danquah scored twice on his first start, Fahad Nyanja netting the other off the bench to keep CSM in good shape.

It was also a good afternoon’s run-out for Leyton City who were in home action against Wanstead in Newbury Park, the visitors battling for vital points to move them away from danger. But Jahvarn Steward has been the scourge of many a defence this season and his hat-trick for City was vital, Archie Andrews joining him on the scoresheet in what finished as a 4-2 win for their side.


There were plenty of goals in Division One with huge results for both of the bottom two sides, Renegade the biggest winners of the day at the Marshes where they were thumping 6-0 winners against seventh placed Eagles Football to move to within two points of safety. Wellington Ismael put the boot in with a hat-trick, Wilton Domingos and Juan Valesco also netting in a vital win.

That result placed a lot of pressure on bottom of the table Kwanzas London Sport who would have been cut adrift were it not for a terrific win of their own, beating eighth placed cup semi-finalists Atholl in a 5-3 scoreline to keep in touch with the teams above. That result saw the visitors pick up a second league win of the season, moving to within three points of safety.


Things remain tight at the top of Division Two although still within leaders Snaresbrook’s control after they picked up a valuable eleventh win against one of sides chasing them down, Woodford East Reserves. A goal apiece for Scott Hill and Jonjo Walsh were enough to take all three points and remain two points clear at the top of the table.

Second placed Rainham Phoenix are the closest side to the leaders and the most likely to pose a threat, aided in their own promotion battle by a solid win on Saturday as they defeated ninth placed Redbridge Community Reserves in a 4-1 scoreline at Harris Academy. Cameron Shakes’ form continued for the Phoenix, netting a hat-trick, with Dillon Anderson scoring the other.

FC Baresi Under 23s remain one of the sides still in with a promotion shout and they put in a strong performance against St Francis at the Britannia at the weekend, scoring seven without reply in a 7-0 home success. Hamza Hafesji and Simeon Nelson both scored hat-tricks, David Poirier completing the rout with the other goal.

Over in Barking, it was the hosts Old Barkabbeyans who will have been the happier of the teams at full-time in their game against Chadwell Heath Spartans Reserves, the hosts winning the game 5-1 to confirm an eighth league win of the season for the now sixth placed side. Michael Ryder drove them to the win with a hat-trick, Sam Thompson and Jerome Morris netting the others, rendering Stanslous Madzikanda’s goal as just consolation for the Spartans.


In Division Three, champions Newbury East added win number fifteen to their record for the season as they managed to score four without reply against Glendale as the sides met in Hainault. Junior Milla’s first half lob set them on their way, adding another in the second half, along with two Reda El Ghaibouz goals to make it 4-0.

Jolof Sports Reserves remain in pole position for the second promotion place with their stronger goal difference aiding the challenge, helped by their 4-1 home win against Dagenham United Reserves at Flanders. Brandon Taylor scored for the visitors but his efforts were in vain as Jolof took three valuable points.

The challenge from Chingford Harriers is running out of games with just three remaining and their hopes were further dented with a home defeat against Flyers Under 21s at Peter May on Saturday in a 2-1 scoreline. Edwin Ohemeng-Manu scored for the hosts but two Flyers goals in reply saw the Romford based side return home with the points.

At the other end of the table, Romford Under 21s’ penultimate game of the season saw them take on bottom of the table Football Club of Riverside, the teams separated by nine points going into the fixture. But that was slashed to six by the end as Shaquille Taffe, Alfred Sylmeta and Fayazi Omar-Mohamed netted for Riverside in a 3-2 success, Rashid Rubea and Amadu Kanu scoring for Romford in reply.


In Division Four, Romford Under 19s missed the change to all but seal the title on Saturday, dropping a couple of points in a 2-2 draw at home against fourth placed West Essex Under 23s. Tyrese Sibanda and Mohammed Yaqoob scored the Romford goals but West had Mathew Horan and Javen Cole to thank for earning them a point. One more win for Romford will still be enough for them to take the title next weekend.

That result meant that Fairlop Rovers Reserves had the chance to close the gap slightly on the leaders and they duly obliged, earning win number nine for the season with a 6-3 home success against Emerson & Upminster Reserves. That win means they moved to within seven points of the leaders but with only three games left to play.

The final game in the league from the weekend came from Newbury Park where Old Esthameians Reserves were in home action with the visit of Flyers Under 21s who made the short trip along the A12. The game proved a tight affair, settled by the odd goal in three, Flyers the beneficiaries of that key moment to win 2-1 and move within two points of their opponents.


It was semi-final day in the Essex Junior Cup where Something From Nothing, a side who had taken scalps aplenty on route to this stage, faced another David vs Goliath contest with the visit of Heybridge Swifts Under 23s to Wanstead Flats. Alas it was not to be for the hosts as Swifts, edged the game 2-1 to make the final but SFN can reflect back on a terrific run in the competition.

Photo Credit: Chadwell Heath Spartans FC

Other News Articles

Return to news list