WEEK 24 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 24 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


London Falcons sprung a huge shock in the quarter finals of the Fenton Cup on Saturday afternoon as they knocked out Premier Division leaders, Jolof Sports Club, winning 2-1 to book a place in the semi finals. They will now face either Kitgum Boys or Old Barkabbeyans Reserves and are just ninety minutes away from a place at Dagenham in May.


Kitgum Boys were taken all the way to a penalty shootout by bottom of the table St Francis in the Division One Cup quarter finals at the weekend with the sides finishing 1-1 after ninety minutes. Joseph Chege scored the crucial Kitgum goal with his side then eventually prevailing in the shootout 4-2.

Three Colts made safe passage through to the semi-finals of the competition with a 4-1 home win against East Ham International. Colts’ goals from Nicky Blackwell, Julian Bryant, Jason Fox and Marshall Smith proved more than enough to cancel out an Inter strike from Alex Henderson.


An absolute barnstorming match between the Division Two’s leading sides, Colebrook Royals Reserves and Ryan Reserves, produced a twelve goal thriller with Royals eventually prevailing 7-5 to go into the semi-finals. Ashley Somers paved the way with a hat-trick with Robbie Carter (2), Adam Young and Jamie Rolt goals completing a victory that sees them to a semi-final against Lymore Gardens.

In the day’s other quarter-final tie, a closely fought clash between Forest Green and Inter Plaistow saw the sides finish level after ninety minutes at 2-2. Warren Lynch and Marlon Corbin goals for the hosts were cancelled out by Plaistow goals from Samuel Garrett and Tosin Blacky before Forest Green prevailed from the shootout to make the last four.


Brentwood United Reserves are into the hat for the semi-finals of the Division Three Cup after a narrow win by the odd goal against Royal Forest, coming through as 2-1 winners. They are now through to the semi-finals where they will face Custom House.

Custom House booked their own place in the semi-finals with a comfortable 7-1 win on the road at Wanstead Warriors in Hainault. Kelvin Bartlett and Mabz Rahman both netted braces as Paul Wooster, Jamie Wooster and Sam Wilkinson goals completed the win on the day.


Blue Marlin put a big dent in the title aspirations of Chingford Athletic on Saturday with a crushing 5-0 win over the title hopefuls in Barkingside. A hat-trick from Charlie Georghiou Matthew Hamilton’s brace were the difference on the day, a result which keeps Jolof Sports Club top by a single point in what is increasingly looking like an exciting title chase.

United London stay fourth after a narrowly fought victory over Melbourne Sports in Hackney. Their victory by the odd goal, a 4-3 win, was secured through a Billy Texeira double and strikes from Emmanuel Wazola and Lance Ledgister to take their side to maximum points.

Also winning were Grove United who comfortably saw off Lopes Tavares London 5-0 in Dagenham to maintain their own outside chances of the title. Both Harry Chalk and John Hughes scored braces with Michael Wade rounding things off with a debut goal.


Sporting Hackney Reserves’ sparkling recent form continued with yet another win this weekend, seeing off promotion chasing Cowley Community in a 3-2 victory. Conor Harrington and Izunna Ogedi-Uzokwe were both on target for the visitors but their efforts proved fruitless as the Parrots took home the points.

Singh Sabha Barking improved their chances of avoiding the drop greatly this weekend as they beat eighth placed St John’s Deaf 4-1 on the road in Leyton despite a Huseyin Er goal for the hosts. That result moves Barking to just a single point below their relegation rivals with four game of the season left.


In Division Two, third placed Chingford Athletic Reserves shared the points in their local derby away at Lymore Gardens as the scores finished level at 2-2. Jibrial Davies-Reaz and Sean Clarke both scored for Chingford but hosts’ goals from Cian Tobin and Teriq Roberts-Wright levelled things up on the day.

Chigwell Rovers were big 6-0 winners in their clash away at Glendale in Hainault as James Smith’s hat-trick paved the way for a comfortable victory. Kadeem Francis, Will Osmond and Charlie Saywood also found their way onto the scoresheet as Chigwell closed the gap on the mid-table sides.

Old Barkabbeyans Reserves secured a massive victory in their own battle to avoid the drop as they beat Avondale Rangers 4-2 to stay eighth in the table. Timi Olaniyan scored twice for his side with goals from Jonathan Buck and Luke Gabriel one apiece as the hosts took home maximum points against their relegation rivals.


Flyers were 2-0 winners in their Division Three match this weekend at home to Newham Royals as goals from Robert Ashdown and Tony Hirst proved the difference on the day to take all three points. The win moves them level on points with third placed Kitroom in the chase for promotion.

Seventh placed Old Esthameians Reserves picked up a point on Saturday with a draw against a promotion chasing Kitroom side. Jack Smerdon and Shaun Vickers both scored for the E’s but Sameer Patel and Denis Karmaj goals levelled things up to share the spoils in a 2-2 draw.K

Other News Articles

Return to news list