WEEK 2 REVIEW: New season continues with some enthralling matches

WEEK 2 REVIEW: New season continues with some enthralling matches

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

The warm weather of earlier in the week frustratingly gave way to a wet, autumn afternoon on Saturday as Week 2 of the season got underway.


The opening cup fixture of the season in the Fenton Cup pitted Division Two side Forest Green up against Old Esthameians Reserves from Division Three as the “Road to Dagenham” got very much underway.

And the opening cup fixture also brought us our opening cup shock as the Division Three side prevailed in an emphatic 7-1 win as doubles from Lee Vickers and Alex Booker along with goals from Shaun Vickers, Max Shuttleworth and James Orton cancelled out a goal from Kristos Feburary for Green.


There were a bucket load of goals in the Premier Division with 27 in total across the five fixtures. It’s as you were in terms of league standings so far as Chingford Athletic and Jolof Sports Club continue their hold on the top two.

Jolof Sports Club made it two wins from two games with a narrow 2-1 win over Lopes Tavares London as goals from Serigne Mbengue and Muhammed Ndow secured all three points for the east London side.

Chingford Athletic were winners by the odd goal in seven as they travelled to face London Falcons, edging them out 4-3 with a Charlie Heatley hat-trick adding to a strike from Gary Murray to continue their perfect start to the season.

Rainham Working Mens Club bounced back from an opening day defeat to see off new boys LOASS 4-1 at home. Ben Brown netted a brace adding to further goals from Dillon Anderson and Michael Aramide to cancel out a Michael Ryder goal for the visitors and hand them all three points.

Melbourne Sports opened their league campaign with a solid opening day win as they travelled the short distance to Newbury Park to face Old Esthameians. They came away with a 5-1 win despite a Jack Morgan goal from the hosts to go fifth in the table.

And rounding off the action, a barnstorming encounter between United London and Grove United which saw the visitors lead twice but the game ultimately ended 3-3 with Jermeel Jno-Baptiste scoring twice and Lance Ledgister once for the hosts, with Harry Chalk, John Hughes and Aaron Scott on target for Grove.


Three Colts are top of Division One after the first two games, following up their opening day win with a victory over St Johns Deaf as Richard Blackwell, Matthew Daley and David Watson all found the target to hand their side maximum points.

Picking up a first win of the season were West Essex Reserves who go third with a 6-2 victory against Cowley Community. A brace apiece from Adam Norris and George Wickings were the stand out performances with Saintclair Alumiere and Charles Saunders also netting to bag the points. That man Izzy Ogedi-Uzokwe was back in Cowley colours on Saturday as he netted a consolation goal on his return to the club, adding to a John Hitchens strike.

Sporting Hackney Reserves remain unbeaten in their debut season in the competition and are fourth in the table after securing a 1-1 draw away at Newbury Park-based hosts, Singh Sabha Barking, who themselves are second placed and unbeaten.

Another enthralling, high-scoring draw was witnessed as St Francis raced into a 3-0 lead in their opening league fixture of the season only to see East Ham International peg them back in the second half to level and share the points. Saints goals from Jerard Cabey, Jack Hall and Jake McMullen were cancelled out by levellers from Darnell Baptiste, Amal Kakumanu and Jackson Saul for Inter.


There is a Chingford theme to the top of the Division Two table as two E4 sides have set the early pace in this division. Ryan Reserves are top on goal difference after a second consecutive win as Ryan Williams’ brace added to strikes from Ryan Cornelius and Enis Balaman to see them to a 4-0 victory over Chingford Harriers.

Chingford Athletic Reserves preserved their own perfect record as they beat Avondale Rangers 4-1 with Michael Johnson scoring twice and Kahlil Kirwan-Meade and Aaron French completing the scoring. Paul Regan was the man on target with Avondale’s consolation goal.

Newly formed Lymore Gardens are third in the table after a 3-1 home win against Chigwell Rovers. Strikes from Lee Benjamin, Ashley Godwin and Marcel Green were enough for Lymore to see them to their first competitive victory.

Inter Plaistow were also victorious, seeing off Glendale by the odd goal in a 2-1 win as Samuel Garrett and Rasheed Allen goals cancelled out a first half equaliser from the Dales’ Nicolae Perciun to move fourth in the table.


Upminster Reserves are top of Division Three after their opening two games as they followed up their opening day victory with a 3-0 win against Brentwood United Reserves.

Also flying high so far this season are Flyers - pardon the pun - who also picked up a second victory of the season, edging past Wanstead Warriors by a single goal in a 4-3 win. Ben Tomlin, Stephen Claxton, Robert Ashdown and Lee Brown were the men on target for the Romford side, cancelling out a double for Warriors from Connor Goom and a single from Matthew Michelle.

New side Kitroom have moved up to third in the table after recording a first victory, 3-1 against Newham Royals. Paul Stafford and Denis Karmaj found the back of the net to confirm the victory and take home the points for the visitors.

Other News Articles

Return to news list