WEEK 17 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and county cup action

WEEK 17 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and county cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The opening fixtures of 2017 saw Jolof Sports Club move back to second in the league table, taking advantage of points dropped amongst their rivals, with a 4-1 win at Melbourne Sports in Hainault. Russell Laird was on target for the hosts who remain ninth in the standings.

The form side of the latter part of 2016 were Old Esthameians and they carried on their great run of results with a thumping 9-2 win against bottom of the table Rainham Working Mens Club. Danny Morgan was once again the star of the show with a five-goal performance to go joint top of the league’s goal scoring charts. Adding to this tally were Neil Robinson’s brace and further goals from John David-Bradley and David Crocker. David Mark and Tony Maynard were the Rainham scorers for their consolation strikes.

United London slip a place in the table as a late Grove United equaliser cancelled out Jermeel Jno-Baptiste's opener for the visitors to give their side a point in a top of the table clash. The hosts are now fifth in the table while United stay within five points of the leaders from a game more.


There was a big shock in Division One where second placed title challengers, Three Colts, slipped up in a big 7-2 defeat to previously second bottom St Johns Deaf in Leyton. James Clarke was the difference with his four goal haul adding to a Huseyin Er double and an Oliver Mancherichoori single.

Cowley Community stay third in the table with a 3-1 home win against Singh Sabha Barking in Wanstead. Izunna Ogedi-Uzokwe scored a brace for the hosts with Thom Bryan rounding off the scoring to complete victory.


Game of the day in Division Two saw first face second with Ryan Reserves travelling the short distance to Walthamstow to take on Forest Green. And a single goal settled the match as the visitors took home a 1-0 win and maintained a five point gap at the top of the league.

Taking advantage of the Forest Green defeat were Colebrook Royals Reserves who moved up to second with a thumping 6-2 win at Inter Plaistow. Ashley Somers scored a hat-trick with Paddy Sheehy, Robbie Carter and Luke Haydon also on target for the Royals to cancel out Plaistow goals from Casey Parram and Danny Vass.

Chingford Athletic Reserves moved up to fourth place in the table with a 5-2 at home to Avondale Rangers in Leyton on Saturday. Michael Johnson scored twice with Michael Boahene, Aaron French and George Watmough also scoring. Paul Regan and Farren Lloyd were on target for Rangers with their goals.

Sharing the points in the division’s final game were Lymore Gardens and Chigwell Rovers who took a point each in a 2-2 draw. Stephen Sell and Sean Wyatt were both on the Rovers scoresheet with Dylan Roberts and Teriq Roberts-Wright levelling things up for the visitors.


Custom House remain second in the Division Three league standings following a 3-2 win on Saturday against Royal Forest. Paul Wooster’s return to form this season has been a big boost as he netted another hat-trick for his side to secure the victory.

An exciting 3-3 draw rounds off the league action as Old Esthameians Reserves and Brentwood United Reserves shared six goals and the points. George Coffey, Lee Vickers and Shaun Vickers were all on the E’s scoresheet.


In the fourth round of the Essex Junior Trophy, Kitroom, the league’s remaining representatives made the long journey to the Dengie Peninsula to take on Mayland Village of the Mid Essex League. After an impressive result in the previous round, the EAL side saw off their opponents in a 3-2 win and now take their place in Wednesday’s quarter-final draw.

Other News Articles

Return to news list