WEEK 16 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

WEEK 16 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


Premier Division’s Dagenham United ensured themselves of a place in round three of the Fenton Cup on Saturday, avoiding any potential slip-up with a comprehensive 8-0 victory at home against Haringey United. Shaquille Mathurin scored four for the hosts, Cain Dash netted two, with Tejean Lewis and Fredericus Cunningham striking the others.


The Senior Division Cup action continued in midweek as two further ties were completed, beginning on Tuesday evening as Haringey Borough Under 23s produced a sparkling performance to see off the threat of Priory Park Rangers in an 8-1 scoreline. Jamal Obeng, Charles Trezise-Bruce and Aala Ezzedine all scored twice with Tyrese Duncan and Tyrese Sibanda goals completing the rout.

On Thursday evening the action continued with a local derby seeing Rapid Chingford taking on Walthamstow Reserves at Peter May, both sides going in search of a place in the quarter-finals of the competition. A goal apiece from Ezra Agyiri, Matthew McDowell and Dylan Flynn proved enough for Stow to win the tie 3-1 and head through.


The Senior Division football action commenced on Friday night with a big match under the Coles Park lights with Haringey Borough Under 23s hosting leaders, FC Baresi. It was Borough quickest out of the blocks scoring in the first minute but Lamine Brandao’s effort levelled things up by the break before Marvin Hamilton’s rocket of a strike midway through the second half gave Baresi a 2-1 win.

There was another cracker of a game on Saturday afternoon where Woodford East, one of the sides still harbouring ambitions of chasing down the leaders, had one of their toughest away games of the season with a visit to rivals FC Petrocub. East successfully came through that test with a Luke Dimond hat-trick paving the way, Billy Barr scoring the other as the Peacocks won 4-3.

Over at the Parsloes Park Hub, Lymore Gardens got produced one of their best winning performances of the season as they came up against Chadwell Heath Spartans in Dagenham. Tyrique Peters and Munnir Saad scored twice each for the hosts with Ryo Brown netting the other effort in what ended up as a 5-0 win for the Lymore.

There was a huge result in the context of the relegation battle as Aveley Under 23s made the trip into east London to take on Priory Park Rangers at the Marshes, Rangers starting the day a point behind their opponents. But by full-time, they had leapt a couple of points beyond the Millers, winning the game 1-0 from Jack Green’s goal to secure a vital three points.

Over in Chingford, hosts Walthamstow Under 23s were in home action with their second game in two days, this time in league action up against Bakers693, Stow beginning the day with a six point lead. That was extended to nine by full-time however as the hosts earned all three points in a 4-2 success with Issa Sidibe scoring two plus one each from Ezra Agyiri and Bilel Benyoucef.


With the league leaders out of action, that presented a strong opportunity for Ongar Town to press their claims for the promotion places and they reduced the lead at the top to six points, moving second on goal difference after a 2-1 win against Redbridge Community. Finlay Cook and Scout Bown struck with the goals to complete win number five in the league this term, rendering Frankie Francis’ goal as just consolation.

Fellow promotion challengers, Newbury Athletic, also had that opportunity to reduce the gap but were up against a strong test with the trip to Unitey over in Loughton. And it was the hosts who produced a big win to further enhance their own credentials, Unitey being 3-0 winners to make it four wins from five so far this season. Muamar Osman scored twice and Jai Perkins once for the hosts.

Waltham Abbey A are up into fourth spot in the table, their seventh league game of the season producing a strong 3-0 performance on the road as they returned home with all three points from Leyton City. Mark Howe, Louie Pegg and Cassidy Igwe struck with the Abbotts’ goals to maintain their interest in the race around them.


In the West division, it’s all change at the top this week as Philip United moved back to the top of the standings, taking advantage of results around them, beating London Park City in Seven Kings in a 4-1 scoreline. That was the visitors’ eighth win of the season and saw them move a point clear in what looks like a terrific race for the promotion places.

That outcome was made possible after third placed Newham Wanderers produced one of their better performances of the season to send Snaresbrook to just a second defeat of the season, Wanderers taking away the points in a 4-2 win at Nutter Lane. Ali Rajim and Harry Prince scored for Brook but an Evaristo Mendes hat-trick and a Siddik Azizur effort gave their side the points.

In matters affecting the other end of the table, North East Lions will be pleased with their efforts as they came off the bottom of the table for the first time this season, scoring the game’s only goal against Wapping to earn just a second win of the season. Ilia Siaka scored that solo goal in the fixture to move them into tenth spot, six points behind their top half opponents.

There was a six-goal thriller in the weekend’s game at Wadham Lodge where hosts Wanstead were up against an Athletic Newham A side, both fighting for crucial points. Starting the game with almost identical records, a score draw was perhaps the bookies’ favourite and that was how it panned out with Daniel Muamba, Yunus Mussa and Joel Mputu goals helping Wanstead to a 3-3 draw.

With results around them going in their favour, Renegade are now up into the top four in the division, earning a home victory at the Marshes against an eighth placed Barkingside Under 21s side. Anthony Ralenekov scored twice and Adham Ennaoumi scored the other to give the hosts a vital three points, their fifth league success of the season.


In Division One, the league leaders now sit four points clear of the pack as Woodford East Reserves earned all three points, Tom Osmond scoring the game’s only goal from the penalty spot to hand his side a 1-0 victory over Old Esthameians in Newbury Park. That win was the Peacocks’ sixth of the season as they head into the second half of the campaign.

Ocean Pacific sit second in the standings as they approach half-way, securing their fifth league win of the season on Saturday with another 1-0 win in the division, defeating Freetown with the game’s only goal at Castle Green. That moves the visitors onto sixteen points for the season while Freetown remain in eighth and in need of some points to move up the table.

Completing the division’s action was yet another 1-0 scoreline, the third of the day at this level, this time a big top half of the table clash from East Ham which saw Saint City head into their game with Royal Lions trailing their opponents by a couple of points. But Richard Seixas’ only goal of the contest was enough to separate the sides and saw City leap above the Lions, ending their unbeaten start.


The Division Two action starts in Dagenham where Old Barkabbeyans were in action, visiting hosts Dagenham United Reserves, the visitors starting the day sitting third in the standings. But by full-time, they had risen as high as second, winning the game 3-1 with a brace of goals from Josh Robinson plus a Ryan Blake goal, rendering Charlie Landers’ effort as just consolation.

Also moving up the table were Chadwell Heath Spartans Reserves who made their first appearance at Parsloes Park and christened the occasion with all three points, defeating Chingford Harriers 4-0. Jack Chawner was the real difference between the sides, his experience seeing him net a hat-trick, along with a Sheldon Dragwidge goal.


There were some big results in Division Three on Saturday, beginning at the league leaders, Woodford Town Under 23s, who fell to just their second defeat of the season, losing 4-1 away at Romford Flyers. Arman Uzzaman got on the scoresheet but it was Flyers goals from Harry Marsh, Sonny Davie, Bubacarr Touray and Jorge Rodriguez that made the difference to net a great win.

It was second versus third in the day’s other big encounter, Collier Row Wheels starting the day trailing Old Parkonians A by three points heading into the clash. But Wheels went into the game with a perfect record and came out with that intact, winning the game 2-0 with a couple of Farhaan Korimbocus goals making all the difference.

Fifth placed Changing Lives are also making up strong ground on the teams above them and took on Glendale at the weekend at Northbrooks in Harlow, the hosts earning themselves a comfortable 3-0 win against their depleted opponents. Ussri Badawi, Carlos Solis and Alan Valle all got on the scoresheet to close the gap on their opponents to just a point.

Sitting one point further back are Melbourne Sports who picked up their fourth win of the league season in a hard-fought five-goal thriller at home to Broadway Athletic at Fairlop. The Mels won the game 3-2 to keep themselves sitting on the cusp of the top half while Broadway remain in eighth as they approach the half-way point in the season.

Over in Rainham, it was tenth placed Newham & Havering Borough as hosts, taking on a Buckhurst Way side desperate to pick up some league points. A close game was eventually edged by the odd goal by the visitors, Way picking up all three points in a 3-2 win courtesy of goals from Myles Croxford, Tommy Akrasi-Bonsu and Prince Saint-Gyamfi.


In the day’s rearranged London Senior Trophy tie, Sporting Hackney were up against a tough opposition with the visit of high-flying Essex Senior Reserve League side, Barking Under 23s at Wadham Lodge. But the Parrots were the side chirping by full-time, 3-2 winners to head into the quarter-finals.

The Essex Junior Cup action saw mixed fortunes for our clubs, beginning with a strong win for Something From Nothing who navigated their way into the third round following a 4-2 win at Sungate Reserves, that result seeing them book a last sixteen berth against Old Chelmsfordians Reserves.

Chingford Athletic Reserves saw their run in the competition come to an end as they were up against higher ranked opposition in the form of Mid Essex League top flight side, Blackmore. Athletic went down 5-3 to see their participation ended for another season.

In the Essex Junior Trophy, an all-Division Two EAL match-up saw Frenford A take the journey over to Forest Row to face Collier Row Reserves. Despite a nine-point deficit on their opponents, Frenford A were the side to go through, winning 3-2 to book a place in round three next month.

The day’s sole AFA action involving our clubs saw Lymore Gardens Under 23s earn their place in round three of the competition, their progress secured on the back of a big 5-1 home win against Old Lyonians Reserves.

The London Junior Cup saw two indifferent results for our clubs as Rapid Chingford ended a difficult week with a third defeat in that span, drawing 5-5 against Middlesex County League side Wood Lane, before heading out on penalties to exit the competition.

Also heading out were FC Baresi Reserves who had the long trip to AFC Battersea ahead of them, their travels to south-west London proving to be not too fruitful as the Wimbledon & District top flight side sent them out in a 4-1 performance.

Photo Credit: Something From Nothing / Elise O'Brien

Other News Articles

Return to news list