WEEK 15 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action the weekend

WEEK 15 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The top flight action got underway on Friday evening and it was Haringey Borough Under 23s who made the most progress as they took away all three points against Bakers693 to move themselves up to second spot in the table temporarily. Borough were 6-1 winners on the night, securing an eighth league success of the season in the process.

Also on Friday evening, over at Parkside, hosts Aveley Under 23s were in home action with the visit of Rapid Chingford, the visitors heading into the contest with a nine point and five place lead over their opponents. A close game was settled by just the odd goal, that being scored by Amari Kpodo in the second half as Aveley won 1-0.

The big game on Saturday saw top of the table FC Baresi in local derby action with a visit to Ive Farm to face title rivals, Lymore Gardens. The hosts started the game twelve points behind but with games in hand to play, a gap that remained by full-time as the teams had to settle for a point apiece in a 2-2 draw, Murat Karagul scoring both efforts for the visitors.

There was a big result over at Lakeside Sports Ground also where struggling CSM London raced into a two goal lead at Chadwell Heath Spartans with Lewis Grantham and Temi Okuwa both netting. But two Billy Gipp goals for the Spartans, along with efforts from Aaron Hunwicks and Peter Adeleye eventually turned the tide to see the hosts win 4-2 and return to second spot.

There were goals aplenty at The Drive as Frenford Development hosted their Walthamstow Reserves counterparts in Ilford. A goal apiece from Louie Handley and Romeo Kapica got on the scoresheet for the hosts but Stow were in fine fettle in front of goal, scoring eight goals of their own to eventually prevail in an 8-3 scoreline.

There was a crucial battle towards the bottom end of the table in the race to stay in the division as bottom of the table Kit Out London played host to a Priory Park Rangers side sitting just a couple of places above them. There was little between the sides, the game ending in a 2-2 draw with Kieran Clayton scoring both for Rangers and Oluwasemilore Ibidapo and Rio Mudhar-Hedley scoring for Kit Out.


In Premier Division East, second placed Newbury Athletic exacted a degree of revenge as they turned around their fortunes against Leyton City to win on Saturday, defeating them in a 6-1 scoreline in the first ever match to be played at the new Parsloes Park Hub. Junior Milla scored a hat-trick, Trae Best-Taylor, Michael Ibe and Reda El Ghaibouz netting the others, returning them to second place.

Over in Hainault, hosts Soul went into their clash with Dagenham United looking to cut the gap on their opponents with six points separating the sides heading into the game. With little between the sides on the game, the match ended in a 1-1 draw to share the spoils, Fredericus Cunningham scoring the Dagenham goal.


Snaresbrook returned to top spot in the West division, avenging their only league defeat so far this season against FC Baresi Reserves to turn their second encounter into a victory. Harry Prince scored two and Chris Huggins once for the visitors, Ronnie Karayianni scoring the Baresi goal in reply as they dropped to defeat at the County Ground.


In Division One, Ocean Pacific made some good progress towards the top end of the table, moving third on the back of a strong 5-0 win at home against bottom of the table Haringey United in Walthamstow. That result, Ocean’s fourth win of the season from seven games this term, puts them within a couple of points of the promotion places heading into the second half of the campaign.

Woodford East Reserves remain top of the table by a couple of points but were held to a score draw on Saturday with Saint City the visitors to Mabley Green, the sides starting the day with just four points between them. Mohamed Koita struck for City with their effort but Harry Carter’s goal for the Peacocks ensured they both left with a point in a 1-1 draw.


The day’s sole game in Division Two saw Rainham & Barking Phoenix in home action with the visit of Old Barkabbeyans to Harris Academy, the Phoenix heading into the game trailing their opponents by five points. But that deficit was slashed to two just ninety minutes later as Khairee Ahmad struck twice and Sean Tormey once in a 3-1 success. Dre Ferlisi scored the Barks goal in consolation.


In Division Three, Woodford Town Under 23s remain top of the table following the weekend’s results as they completed the double over Beckton Sporting Club this season, this time completing a 9-2 win in east London. Frankie Walker and Arman Uzzaman both scored hat-tricks while Aaron Campbell, Tylla Addai and George Piwowarczyk also found the net.

Melbourne Sports made it three wins for the season, moving up into sixth spot in the standings following a 4-1 home win against Buckhurst Way in Hainault. After a run of improved performances from the visitors, this looked to be a good contest heading into the game but the Mels ended the game the happier of the sides, opening a seven point gap over their opponents.

Old Parkonians A have shown some great recent form and are now sitting in second spot in the table after nine games of the season, producing their latest three points haul with a hard fought win over Broadway Athletic. Jamie Cooper and Jourdane DeCourcy-Nolan both found the back of the net for Parks, overcoming a Dereece Oakley goal for the Broadway.


The London Senior Trophy was hit by the weather at the weekend but one tie was completed as Athletic Newham A made the journey across to Hilltop Reserves. But it proved to be a fruitless trip in the end, Newham going down by the odd goal in a 3-2 defeat.

There were plenty of great results for sides in the Essex Junior Cup with success for EAL sides across all the completed ties. Division One high-flyers, Royal Lions, went up against Olympian opposition, Collier Row, but came away winners in extra-time, prevailing 3-2.

Premier Division East side, Ongar Town, also had a tough battle ahead of them with a high-flying and unbeaten Flitch United team from the Essex & Suffolk Border League. But it was victory for Town, coming away 5-2 winners in the game to head on through.

Unitey also produced a strong performance with a trip to Harold Wood Athletic A on Saturday, making their trip worthwhile with a big 6-1 win against the Mid Essex League side, securing their place in the third round.

Waltham Abbey A had an even longer trip with a visit to the Dengie Peninsula to take on a South Woodham Ferrers United side, also from the Mid Essex League. A close game saw just one goal separating the teams, that being scored by the Abbotts to put them through 1-0.

Over in Dagenham, Premier Division side Barkingside Under 21s avoided any potential slip-up against lower ranked opponents, the visitors going through on the back of a 4-0 win against Division One’s Freetown.

In the other all-EAL tie from the round, it was victory for London Cranes over in East Ham, a game which saw them overcome fellow Premier Division side, Redbridge Community in a 4-2 scoreline to ensure themselves of a place in the third round hat.

In the Essex Junior Trophy, there was a cupset of sorts in Dagenham where Redbridge Community Reserves were up against lower ranked opposition with the visit of Collier Row Wheels. But it was the Wheels who rolled on into the third round, overcoming their opponents in a 3-2 scoreline.

Another Division Two side through into the next round are Chingford Harriers who overcame Glendale in their game in Walthamstow, riding the early pressure to score four times in the first half to set them on the way to a 5-1 win overall.

Division Three’s Changing Lives also caused a shock on Saturday with a victory against higher placed opposition, defeating Mid Essex Division Two side Great Baddow on Saturday to put themselves into the next round of the competition, winning 3-1.

Other News Articles

Return to news list