WEEK 15 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

WEEK 15 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The weekend’s Fenton Trophy action produced yet another cup shock as Division Three’s Melbourne Sports produced one of the results of the season to knock out Division One side Renegade in their Preliminary Round tie at Hackney Marshes. The Mels were 2-0 winners to on the day to set up a home tie in round one against Newbury East.

Division Two’s Old Barkabbeyans ensured they made safe passage into the second round but not without a bit of a surprise themselves as they eventually overcame Division Four leaders Fairlop Rovers Reserves in Hainault in a 7-4 scoreline. Jay Elliott scored four goals with Josh Robinson, Michael Ryder and Robbie Osborne goals completing the win for the visitors.


The lead at the top of the Senior Division is down to just three points following the weekend’s results as Brimsdown closed the gap on the leaders, coming from behind to take all three points in a late win against Walthamstow Reserves at Wadham Lodge. The visitors edged a close game 3-2 on the day to make it eight wins in the league, despite host goals from Anthony O’Malley and Sakiou Jatta.

That put some pressure on the leaders, FC Baresi, in their trip to Noak Hill as they took on twelfth placed side Kit Out London and the hosts led 2-1 before a penalty levelled up the contest for Baresi, the sides eventually having to settle for a point apiece at 2-2. Edson Lami and Tyreece Robertson both netted for the leaders who dropped valuable points but remain unbeaten.

Jolof Sports remain third in the table as they came out on the winning side of their trip to Hainault to face Oakside, edging the contest by the odd goal in a 2-1 scoreline. Ndiouga Mara and Papa Ndiaye were the scorers for the visitors to add an eighth league success to their record this season while Oakside remain just inside the relegation zone on goal difference.

On Friday night, Sporting Hackney made a fruitful trip to north London in their second game of the season against Lymore Gardens and made it a double in the league after walking away winners in a 4-1 scoreline. Jordan Brown, Karim Bukleb, Pervical Winter and Henry Gallagher all got on the scoresheet to keep their side well positioned in the title race.

That result enabled Woodford East to make further progress up the table as they leapt above Lymore with a “home” success against Rapid Chingford at Mabley Green. Billy Barr scored twice with Connor Brathwaite and Andrew Rowe goals finishing things off in a 4-2 success, overcoming two Andrei Cazucu goals from an improving Rapid side.

The congested middle area of the table saw Frenford Development skip up five places on Saturday as they secured a 5-0 in the Redbridge derby at home against Blue Marlin at The Drive. That win was Frenford’s fourth of the campaign and, with games in hand, it could see them climb even further in the table.

The final game in the division came from Lakeside Sports Ground where hosts Chadwell Heath Spartans were in action against a visiting Dagenham United side, three points between the sides going into the game. The game eventually ended level at 1-1 as Michael Ramsay struck the leveller for Spartans, after Diego Panessar had given United a lead, ensuring both teams took a point each.


In the Premier Division East, it was a fruitful afternoon for Underscore United who emphasised their credentials for the title once again with a comprehensive 17-0 win away against Freetown in Walthamstow. Last season’s golden boot winner, Kieran James, scored five, Gabriel Ogunwomoju netted four, Jordan Mullings and Sam Paterson each scored a hat-trick with Patrick Macdonald and Lewis Prainer efforts rounding off the win.

The new league leaders are RCXI who moved top of the pile on Saturday after a solid home performance against Barkingside Under 23s in Newbury Park which enabled them to complete a sixth league win of the season. RCXI were 3-0 winners, moving clear by a point ahead of a sizeable chasing pack.

There was a seven goal thriller in the game from Castle Green which saw hosts Wapping and London Park City go head-to-head with five points between them going into the fixture, a repeat of last season’s cup final lineup. But Wapping were able to edge the contest in a 4-3 scoreline as Juber Ahmed scored a hat-trick and Yusuf Nasir grabbed the other to hand them a first league win.


Over in the West division, the race for the title is an ever-changing position as league leaders, AEK London, dropped vital points in their game as they recovered to take a point against winless Leyton City, the sides finishing level at 3-3. Anthony James, Liam Kennedy and Jahvarn Steward scored the City goals but two Wesley Xavier efforts and a Samuel Sousa goal levelled it up for AEK.

That result meant that Priory Park Rangers could close the gap on their rivals at the top and they did just that, taking home all three points from their trip to Victoria Park as they defeated hosts G7 in a 4-1 result. Nathan Hill and Shepherd Ndlovu each netted a brace for Rangers as they make it six wins in nine this season.

There was an important performance from Soul who moved up to sixth place, above their opponents from the weekend, Wanstead, as they took all three points in their clash at Wadham Lodge. Soul were 4-1 winners on the day to confirm a second league success, moving a point ahead of Wanstead in the standings but still four points adrift of the sides above.


It’s as you were at the top of Division One where Newham Wanderers maintained their lead at the top of the division with a 2-1 home win against an in-form Atholl side at the Flats. Robertson Morais and Addai Paponnette both scored once again for their side as they came away winners by the odd goal, maintaining a three point lead at the top.

Second placed Redbridge Community have moved up a place, above their opponents from Saturday, Unitey, as they produced a 2-0 winning performance at Mayfield Leisure Centre to keep themselves well positioned for a title tilt. Frankie Francis scored both of the Redbridge goals in what proved to be their sixth league success of the campaign.

Old Esthameians got back to winning ways this weekend as they picked up all three points on the road following their trip to Leyton to face Forest Green. E’s were 3-1 winners in a result which moved them right up into fourth place, albeit having played a few more games than those around them. That result leaves Green hovering just above the drop zone in ninth place.

A 2-2 draw completes the division’s action which saw Kwanzas London Sport pick up their first point of the season as they shared the points with seventh placed Eagles Football in Beckton. Kwanzas’ Celso Gomes scored both of their goals which they hope will give them confidence having games in hand on those above them.


Leaders Snaresbrook remain eight points clear at the top of Division Two after the weekend’s results as they defeated previously second placed Royal Forest at Nutter Lane in a 2-0 scoreline. Drew Barbier scored both of the hosts’ goals to make it eight wins from eight while the Trees drop a place to third following this result.

Moving up into second spot are Rainham Phoenix who produced a winning result on the road with victory away at Lymore Gardens Reserves in Leyton. Cameron Shakes and Josh Perry both got on the scoresheet for the promotion chasers as they won the game 2-1 to confirm a fifth league success in seven this term.


There were wins for all of the sides in the top five in Division Three as Newbury East remain four points clear on the back of their latest win, a 5-1 home victory against Dagenham United Reserves at Oaks Park. Rafai Bentick scored twice with Junior Milla, Muhammed Hussain and keeper Iulian Panaguta scoring the others. Cain Dash was the man on target for Dagenham with their consolation.

Second placed Jolof Sports Reserves continued their promotion push with a strong, five goal first half performance against bottom of the table Glendale in Hainault. The Dales fought back to win the second half as Devendra Choudhury, Muhammed Camara and Mouhamed Gueye all scored in reply but Jolof held on to win 6-3 and take the honours.

Chingford Harriers sit just a couple of points outside of the promotion places with a game in hand after they came out on the right side of their home fixture against Football Club of Riverside over in Walthamstow. Darlington Ojo, Andrew Bowring and Darnell Lamothe scored the Harriers goals to set them up for a 3-0 home win.

Fourth placed Frenford A remain in touch with matters above them themselves and now have five league wins under their belts this season after a winning home performance on Saturday against Buckhurst Way. The Ilford based side were 5-2 winners on the day to take their points tally up to fifteen for the season.

The day’s local derby game at Westlands saw hosts Flyers Under 21s take on their counterparts from Romford Under 21s with local bragging rights at stake. But it was the higher ranked Flyers side who took all three points from the contest with a 3-0 home success, that being their fifth win of the season. Romford remain just above the drop zone by three points.


In Division Four, Romford Under 19s are the new leaders of the division as they took advantage of sides around them being out of action to move top, despite dropping points away at Inter London in Rainham. Fahad Abdallah, Ibrahim Idris and Stefan Spinu all scored for the hosts as they took a valuable point in a 3-3 draw. Mohammed Yaqoob, Alvin Smeraldi and Sergio Rusu scored the Romford goals in reply.

London APSA Under 23s now sit just outside of the promotion places on goal difference after their return to action saw them play a part in a nine-goal thriller at home against Avondale Rangers. Reda El Ghaibouz’s hat-trick proved key, along with two Chaka Barnett goals, as their side ran out 5-4 winners. Joe Powell, George Ayers, James Whitbread and David Bode all struck for Rangers but their efforts proved in vain ultimately.

Fourth placed Collier Row Wheels lost ground on the sides above them as they could only take a point against Old Esthameians Reserves at Forest Row, that game also ending in a 3-3 draw. Nathan Elgie scored twice for Wheels but E’s were a match on the day and the visitors earned themselves a valuable point which moved them out of the bottom two.

There were goals aplenty at Hall Lane as Emerson & Upminster Reserves and Flyers Under 23s produced nine goals between them, the visitors eventually prevailing in a 6-3 win to take the points. That was Flyers’ third win in the league this season as they put breathing space between themselves and the sides below.

West Essex Under 23s have arrested a difficult spell of form with a crucial three point haul as they came away from their trip to Newham & Havering Borough with all three points in a hard fought 1-0 scoreline. Javen Cole was the scorer of the game’s only goal to hand West the points in what was their fourth league victory this term.


Saturday’s BBC Essex Premier Cup replay produced a favourable result for May & Baker EC Reserves as they came through the substantial test of former league heavyweights ACD United after extra-time. Bakers were 3-1 winners after the extra thirty minutes to set up a tie against Woodford East in the next round.

There were some good results for our clubs in the Essex Junior Cup also where Aveley Under 23s produced the performance of the round with a trip to the coast to take on Earls Hall United in Southend. The young Millers were 4-0 winners on the day to head on through to the fourth round.

CSM London are also in the hat for the next round but did require an extra thirty minutes in their tie away at Cowley Community, eventually prevailing in a 3-0 success after the game had finished goalless at full-time. They now face Stock United or Thorpe Athletic next month.

Another fine Something From Nothing performance saw them beat higher ranked opposition with a win against Essex & Suffolk Border League Division One side Great Bentley. The Wanstead based side were 3-2 winners on the day to progress on to a tie against Aveley Under 23s in the next round.

The young Foxes of Ilford Reserves saw their run in the competition reach a conclusion as they were beaten at home on Saturday against Shenfield AFC Reserves at London Marathon. The visitors were 2-1 winners in a close game to put themselves through.

The other EAL side to see their participation ended were Waltham Abbey A who went out of the competition in a home tie against Brentwood Athletic over at Town Mead. The unbeaten Mid Essex League side were 5-2 winners in the tie as they progress on to the next round.

In the London Senior Trophy, FC Petrocub caused a real cup shock as they ended Thurlow Nunn League side, Hackney Wick’s, run in the competition with a 1-0 win against the step six outfit. That win by the odd goal sees them set up a home quarter final against Wimbledon Casuals in January.

Crookz United also went extremely close to eliminating a step six side themselves as they took Southern Counties League side Forest Hill Park all the way to penalties after the game had ended 0-0 at full-time. But it was the south London side who held their nerve to win the shootout 5-3.

Premier Division West side Athletic Newham Under 23s saw their run in this competition come to an end as they were beaten in a home clash against Surrey Premier League side Wimbledon Casuals in a disappointing 9-1 scoreline.

Photo Credit: Kit Out London FC

Other News Articles

Return to news list