WEEK 15 REVIEW: Grove United book Fenton Cup quarter final at Melbourne

WEEK 15 REVIEW: Grove United book Fenton Cup quarter final at Melbourne

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

Despite the inclement weather this weekend, we managed to get a full round of fixtures completed as the penultimate fixtures of 2015 took place.

The Fenton Cup saw action between two Division One high-flyers as Grove United entertained St John’s Deaf. The former, with a perfect league record this season, continued their fantastic form as they won 6-0 to set up a quarter final against Melbourne Sports, a replica of the same quarter final tie from last season’s competition.

In the Premier Division, the top two remain locked on points as both Chingford Athletic and Jolof Sports Club secured comfortable wins. Leaders Chingford travelled to Melbourne Sports and came away 5-1 winners as Gary Murray led the way with a hat-trick, adding to further goals from Michael Mignot and David Livie. Jolof Sports Club were 4-1 winners at home to St Francis to keep up the pressure on the boys from E4.  May & Baker EC A and Buckhurst Hill Under 21s played out a seven goal thriller with Baker coming away 4-3 winners to move up to third place in the table.

Kitgum Boys have gone top of Division One following a 1-0 win at home to Chingford Harriers and are a point clear of the two sides chasing albeit from a few games more. Three Colts maintained their perfect record so far with a 5-1 home win against Flyers as Tom Jakob grabbed a brace adding to further strikes from Sean Bellamy, Marshall Smith and David Watson. Glendale extended their unbeaten run in an exciting topsy-turvy battle with West Essex Reserves with the match finally ending 3-3. Terry Allen and Ricky Hall goals gave the Dales an early two goal advantage but West Essex then mounted a comeback to lead 3-2 midway through the second half before Josh Coppeard’s dramatic late equaliser for Glendale to take a share of the spoils.

The race for promotion in Division Two is certainly hotting up as six sides remain locked together going into the festive break. On Saturday, Chingford Athletic Reserves followed the first team’s lead as they won 2-1 at home to Singh Sabha Barking to go top of the table with Tom Kavanagh and Josh Trainor getting the all-important goals. Northend were the biggest winners of the day as they secured a 6-1 home win over Newham Royals with goals from Ryan Leddra (2), Tony Iyaki (2), Chris Margiotta and Timi Olaniyan. Leyton Green mounted a superb comeback in their game against London APSA, trailing 3-0 at half time, second half goals from Andrew Morgan, Simon Bush and David Rodriguez rescued them a point in a 3-3 draw. Inter Plaistow remain in the hunt for glory this season as they won 4-2 on the road away at Custom House. Samuel Garrett was once again the hero with a hat-trick, adding to a Mason Brown goal to lift their side to fourth in the table.

In the London Junior Cup, Forest Green travelled to Essex Olympian League side, FC Hamlets, and despite being underdogs on paper, performed admirably to draw 2-2 and take the game to a penalty shootout where they were ultimately knocked out 4-3.

Other News Articles

Return to news list