WEEK 14 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 14 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


In a season that has seen more than it’s fair share of cup shocks in the Fenton Cup, Saturday’s action produced yet another as Division Two’s league leaders, Eastside, were dumped out of the competition by mid-table Division Three side, Tower Hamlet Reserves. Hamlet made home advantage count, romping to an 8-0 win to set up a very interesting third round clash away at top flight East Ham Inter.


With the top three sides out of action in the Senior Division on Saturday, London Cranes had the perfect opportunity to close the gap at the top, leading their match against Docklands Albion through a Valentine Ngaham effort. But Albion levelled it up in the second period to take home a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw that sees them up a place to fifth in the standings.

In the day’s relocated match in the top flight, Singh Sabha Barking’s home match against West Essex Reserves was switched due to the weather but the home advantage wasn’t required by Singh Sabha who moved to within a point of their opponents with a 2-1 win against them.


The leaders in Division One, FC Baresi, will be breathing a sigh of relief as they arrested a poor run of form with good win at the weekend, edging their contest against Wapping by the odd goal in three. Hamza Hanif scored for Wapping but Baresi goals from Marvin Smith and Sikander Khan were the difference, earning their side a 2-1 victory.

That result was made all the more important as Lymore Gardens pulled off a stunning win of their own, travelling to face third-placed Three Colts and ending Colts’ long unbeaten start to the season in a 3-1 result. Dushane Powell, Akil Roberts and Paul Roberts got the all-important goals to record a sixth Lymore win of the season, seeing them up to fifth in the table.

Chingford Athletic Reserves took advantage of that drop in points for the third placed Colts side, replacing them second in the table with a big win at home to Forest Green at Town Mead. Joshua Thompson grabbed the Green goal but a Tayo Olasanoye hat-trick, two from Jack Knowles and Luke Primett plus one each from Samuel Matthews and Archie Stojic completed a thumping 9-1 win.

Completing the weekend’s action in Division One, Sporting Hackney Under 23s had an afternoon to remember as they finally opened their points tally for the season with a first win, securing the accolade with a 5-2 home victory against Chingford United. Steve Cahill scored a hat-trick accompanying efforts from Joel Akuwudike and Tommy Pidgeon onto the scoresheet. Dragos Aenasoaie and Alexandru Ionescu grabbed the United goals in consolation.


CSM London closed the gap on the top two sides in Division Two but had to rescue a late point in their match against Puma Kings. Puma goals from Lewis Meyer, Josh Morris and Jeffrey Carew had given their side what appeared to be a winning lead but CSM responded through goals from James Blake, Lewis McCarthy and Keifer Cole to level it up at 3-3.

After some good recent results, fourth placed Cowley Community suffered a shock defeat as they went down 3-1 at home against Old Esthameians at Leyton County Ground. Neil Robinson scored twice and Alex Booker scored once again to help their side to a fourth league win and shifting them up a couple of places to eighth.

In Walthamstow, there was a hugely important win for South Marsh United who efforts to avoid the drop were aided by a 7-4 home win against Upshire Forest. Leighton Hughes-Franklin scored twice with Aaron Rich and George Boyle netting one each for Forest but their efforts proved in vain. United goals from Ayodeji Durgjaye, Daniel Da Luz, Timor Farazi, Amin Joeta, Ryan Smith, Pierre Garner-Weekes and Elson Custodio took their side to the win.


There is another new leader in Division Three with Custom House United being the new custodians of that position following a home win in Beckton. Glenn Levy scored twice and George Hearson once to secure a 3-1 win over Forest Green Reserves for whom Joshua Thomson netted in consolation.

Moving to within two points of the top and with games in hand, Frenford A picked up a seventh league win of the season with a 3-1 win of their own away at Chingford Harriers in Walthamstow. Hendrew Schmidt scored twice with Jordan Riches getting the third to consign Harriers to defeat.

Remaining in the promotion picture are Brook City who, with games in hand, can still enter the mix in a congested top end of the table. They were aided in their quest by a big 7-2 win on Saturday as they returned home from New Star Soccer with all three points. Mustafa Said and Micah Sutherland got the New Star goals but they were not quite enough on the day.

And rounding off the Division Three action, it was a big afternoon for Glendale who scooped a second win of the season with a terrific home victory against a very good Flyers Reserves side. A goal in each half from Valter Correia, the second a stunning volley, accompanied a spirited team performance, confirming a 2-1 win for the Dales.


The top of the Division Four table remains very tight with Sungate Reserves still two points clear of the chasing pack after a picking up a win in their match-up with Dagenham United Reserves over the weekend. Goals from debutant Danny Downer and John Watson were sufficient in the end, overcoming a dogged Daggers effort in a 2-1 scoreline.

Third placed Debden Park missed the chance to cut the deficit on the top two places as they were held at home by an unpredictable Soul Youth side. Park goals from Wyatt’s of the Bradley and Sean variety plus a Ross Densham effort were balanced up by a Soul brace from Saddik Azizur and a Hamzue Adnan goal to settle for a 3-3 draw and a point apiece.

The 3-3 scoreline was a popular one as the third such result of the day saw Loughton Lions and Newham Royals settle for a point each in their own six-goal thriller at Hainault Rec. Daniel Moody, Will Osmond and Tommy Edwards got the Lions goals, that point being enough to move their side up a place to eighth in the standings.


In the Essex Junior Trophy, the EAL will have representation at the quarter-final stage once again as Chigwell secured safe passage to the last eight of the competition with a 7-1 win away at Brentwood United Reserves. They will now travel to face Writtle Reserves in the next round.

That Writtle outfit will be buoyed on by their victory against the EAL’s other side who were in county cup action with Rainham Working Mens Club on the wrong end of a disappointing seven-goal contest against their Mid Essex opposition. The Workies went down to a 4-3 defeat to exit the competition this year.

Other News Articles

Return to news list