WEEK 13 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action the weekend

WEEK 13 REVIEW: Round-up of all the league and cup action the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The Fenton Cup action continued on a wet November weekend and it saw Unitey overcome West division opposition, the Loughton based side sending London Park City to defeat, the hosts coming away 5-1 victors. Ahmed Dousa and Jai Perkins both scored twice, Mohammed Abaker netting the other to put their side into the third round away at Saint City.

In the day’s other completed tie, a close game saw Philip United make the trip to Hainault to face Soul in another of the East versus West clashes, the game ending level at 2-2 after ninety minutes with little to separate the sides. A penalty shootout was therefore necessary and it was United who held their nerve to win 5-4 and head into the third round against London Cranes.


In the Fenton Trophy, the cupset of the day came from Dagenham where Division Three’s Melbourne Sports sent higher league opposition, Collier Row Reserves, out of the competition after a penalty shootout win at Robert Clack. Romulo Batista, Jordan Lee and Celso da Silva goals helped Row to a 3-3 draw at full-time but the Mels won the shootout to head through to the quarter-finals.

The goals were flowing in the day’s other tie where Rainham & Barking Phoenix made no mistake in their game, defeating Beckton Sporting Club 17-2 at Harris Academy. Sean Tormey was on fire with a six-goal performance, Melvis Ohenlen and Khairee Ahmed both scoring twice to go with strikes from Dillon Anderson, Chris Knight, Josh Perry, Charlie Perry, Dean Cole, Connor Kain and Sam Springall.


The Senior Division action began back on Wednesday evening last week as Chadwell Heath Spartans triumphed at Lower Road, defeating Bakers693 with a couple of second half goals. Bakers will probably consider themselves to have had the better for the first half proceedings but failed to break the deadlock before Peter Adeleye and Courtney Holness bagged for the Spartans in a 2-0 win.

On Friday evening, Woodford East temporarily reverted to second place in the standings as they came from behind at half-time to eventually turn the game against CSM London into three points, ending as 2-1 winners at Mayesbrook Park. Jonas Ngandu’s goal had given CSM a lead on his debut but Sajid Aziz and Timothy Monsheju goals sent the Peacocks home with the points.

Over at Parkside, it was the battle of the two of the younger sides in the division as Aveley Under 23s went in search of crucial points in their quest to stay in the top flight, taking on an in-form Walthamstow Reserves side sitting in the middle of the table going into the game. Stow put on a strong showing to win the game 4-2, climbing up into fourth spot as a consequence.

On Saturday afternoon, Chadwell Heath Spartans continued a strong week with another three-point haul under their belts, making the tough trip to FC Petrocub at Noak Hill. A closely fought game was eventually settled in favour of the visitors as Ray Hunwicks and Michael Ramsay both netted to give their side a 2-1 win, moving them into second spot.

At Lakeside Sports Ground, there was a seven-goal thriller to round off the Senior Division action for the week as Rapid Chingford eventually prevailed by the odd goal against an improved Kit Out London to walk away 4-3 winners. Osakpolor Omorodion, Cairo Charlette and Amalraj Kakumanu all scored for Kit Out but Rapid goals from Cristian Cazacu, Denis Lihet, Sorin Tudose and Ionut Labunt earned their side the win to move eighth.


There was a big game at the summit of the East division where leaders Fairlop Rovers had a trip to second placed Newbury Athletic on Saturday at Mayfield School, the two sides starting the day with six points between them. But two Jayden Francis goals and a Logan Simmonds effort for Rovers gave them the points in a 3-1 win, overcoming Chaka Barnett’s effort to secure a vital victory.

Fifth placed Ongar Town retain their hopes of a promotion push and ensured they kept in touch with the sides above following a profitable away trip to Something From Nothing, Town coming away 3-0 winners in Hainault. Ben Newman, Scout Bown and Mofi Tunde-Ojolowo all got on the scoresheet to earn them a third league win of the season.

A seven-goal thriller rounds off the East action with a Redbridge Community and Leyton City both in the goals across their contest in Barkingside. Emanuel Jacob, Frankie Francis and Jahsial Weekes struck with the Redbridge goals but those proved in vain as Liam Kennedy scored twice, Gloire Luke and Louison Kamba both netting too in a 4-3 City win.


There was just the one surviving fixture in the West division with third placed Newham Wanderers making up ground on the sides above, closing the gap on the promotion places to just goal difference after a 3-2 away win against FC Baresi Reserves. Hamza Hafesjji struck with both goals for the hosts but his efforts proved in consolation as Wanderers walked away winners.


In Division One, another weather affected fixture list saw Woodford East Reserves move themselves top of the table, moving above the sides around them following a 4-2 home victory against Lymore Gardens Under 23s in the east London derby. The Osmonds were once again the difference on the day, both Tom and Will scoring twice for their side.

That outcome was made possible following the division’s other game ending in a 2-2 draw as Royal Lions were held to a share of the spoils away at Ocean Pacific. That result saw Lions remain unbeaten but dropping to second while Ocean Pacific move fifth with games still in hand in the teams above which could see them climb further.


In Division Two, with the leading sides out of action, it saw an opportunity for those chasing to close the gap and Old Barkabbeyans did just that, coming away 7-3 winners at home against Redbridge Community Reserves. Mitchell Day and Jay Elliott both scored twice, Josh Robinson and Dre Ferlisi notching the others to complete the hosts’ fourth league win of the campaign.

Also in the fourth tier, in matters affecting the other end of the standings, Chadwell Heath Spartans Reserves made the short journey across the hedge to take on Fairlop Rovers Reserves, trailing their opponents by a point going into the game. By full-time however, they had leapt above them into seventh place with Samir Aboulainaf scoring two and Thamindi Kahatadeniya once in a 3-1 victory.


There was just the one game in Division Three but it was a key one at the top of the table as two unbeaten sides, Glendale and Collier Row Wheels, went head-to-head in Hainault. It was a game with just one goal separating the sides, Luke Fearne pouncing to punish an error and hand Wheels a crucial 1-0 success in the title race.


In the London Junior Cup, second round action saw Freetown with a home draw and taking on Kent County League side AFC Lewisham. It was a day to forget for the home side as Lewisham returned back south with a place in the third round under their belts, winning 7-0.

Other News Articles

Return to news list