WEEK 11 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and county cup action

WEEK 11 REVIEW: Round-up of Saturday's league and county cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


Premier Division side, Rainham Working Mens Club, avoided a big shock in the Fenton Cup on Saturday as they were held to a 3-3 draw by Division Two’s Avondale Rangers at the end of normal time. Craig Ellis, Tony Maynard and Joshua Perry were on target for Rainham to take their side to a penalty shootout where they ultimately ran out 6-5 winners to through to round three.


In the day’s only Premier Division match, Chingford Athletic put their Melbourne Sports hoodoo behind them to record an emphatic 5-0 win and go top of the table. Charlie Heatley scored a brace with Gary Murray and Zaikhan Kazley also netting to move them top although second placed Jolof Sports do still have a game in hand.


The top two sides in Division One were both victorious at the weekend and remain unbeaten.

Leaders Colebrook Royals secured a comfortable 4-0 victory on their trip to Sporting Hackney Reserves with the league’s leading marksman, Chris Stowe, amongst the goals once again netting twice. Further goals from George Brislen-Hall and Ben Cooper completed the scoring for the Royals to maintain their lead.

Keeping pace with the Royals are local rivals Three Colts who won by the odd goal in five on Saturday, seeing off West Essex Reserves at Fairlop Oak in a 3-2 win. Goals from Richard Blackwell, Matthew Daley and Julian Bryant saw the Colts to victory, cancelling out goals from Lloyd Renvoize and debutant Tom Macleod.

Completing the division’s action were East Ham International and Singh Sabha Barking where the former ran out 3-1 winners. East Ham’s second win of the season came despite an Oswald Nyahunda effort for Singh Sabha and moves the side up to seventh in the table.


Chigwell Rovers secured their maiden league victory on Saturday at a wet Metropolitan Police ground in Chigwell with a narrow 3-2 win over Glendale. A John Taylor double for the Dales proved not quite enough as Rovers held on to secure victory through goals from Jake Cuthbert, James Barlow and Will Osmond.

Colebrook Royals Reserves dropped their first league points of the season as they rescued a 2-2 draw against the in-form Forest Green at The Grange. Ashley Somers was on target with both of the Royals’ goals to take a share of the spoils and keep their grip on second place in the table.

In a rare goalless draw, it was defences and goalkeepers on top in Leyton where Lymore Gardens and Old Barkabbeyans Reserves ended 0-0 and took home a point apiece for their efforts.


Wapping have taken up a commanding position at the top of Division Three following an 8-1 win on Saturday against Wanstead Warriors. Fuad Ibrahim done the damage again with a hat-trick with Shamsun Noor (2), Adel Mouaden and Kemar Thompson adding to the scoresheet.

Victories are coming along like London buses for Royal Forest as a second successive victory for the league’s new boys made it a fortnight to remember. Following last week’s win, Forest secured an enthralling 6-4 win over Brentwood United Reserves on Saturday to move up to ninth position in the table.

Rounding off the league action were Newham Royals and Flyers who met in Beckton and both came away with a point each in a 0-0 scoreline. That point was enough to move the Royals up to fourth place in the table on goal difference, three points below their opponents.


It was a busy but difficult day for Essex Alliance League sides in the county cup competitions with a number of sides facing long away days.

In the Essex Junior Cup, Ferns Seniors were eliminated in a 3-1 defeat at home to Manford Way Reserves while Grove United were taken out 7-1 in a heavy defeat against Brentwood Athletic. In what can only be described as a goal-fest, Lopes Tavares London were beaten by the goal in thirteen, going out 7-6 to Shoebury Town Reserves.

The Essex Junior Trophy saw long trips for two of our sides. Inter Plaistow travelled to Extreme United and saw their campaign ended in a 4-2 defeat. Also travelling deep into Essex were Cowley Community who were beaten 3-0 at Mayland Village. In an all-EAL tie, Ryan Reserves saw their long unbeaten run come to an abrupt halt at home to lower-league Kitroom where a quite stunning long-range volley from Dennis Karmaj helped his side to a shock 3-1 victory.

There were similarly disappointing results in the London Junior Cup where four sides exited the competition at the second round stage. Custom House took Old Plymouthians all the way to penalties after a 2-2 draw but were eliminated 4-3 in the shootout. St Francis travelled to FC Lokomotiv Lavende but were on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline that sees their participation ended also. LOASS were also beaten, going down 4-0 at Tottenham Hale Rangers in a north London derby while United London were beaten at home 2-1 by South London Football Network.

Photo credit: Lamo The Lion

Other News Articles

Return to news list