WEEK 11 REVIEW: Review of Saturday's league and cup action

WEEK 11 REVIEW: Review of Saturday's league and cup action

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The Fenton Cup competition continued this Remembrance Weekend with one of the remaining second round clashes reaching a conclusion. Wapping played host to Colebrook Royals Reserves in Hackney with both sides keen to book their place in the last sixteen of the competition. And it was the visiting Royals who took the honours with goals from Robbie Carter, Luke Haydon, Jamie Role and Jack Speakman all on target to book their place in the third round.


There were some huge results in the Premier Division on Saturday with leaders Jolof Sports slipping to a second defeat of the campaign, beaten by a resurgent Lopes Tavares London side at West Ham Memorial Park. It took five goals to separate the sides with Lopes the victors by the odd goal in a 3-2 win that sees them move up to sixth place in the table.

Taking full advantage of the slip by the league leaders, United London made up ground on them with an edgy victory of their own as they saw off the efforts of London Cranes in Romford. Harry Chalk got the opening goal with Shaun Goddard’s strike securing the win by the odd goal in a 2-1 scoreline to help them to within two points of top spot.

And it will be a Remembrance Day to remember for London APSA who opened their winning account for the season with a first league victory of the season, beating Old Esthameians in a thirteen goal thriller. Attacked reigned supreme over defence as APSA took home the points with a 7-6 victory on a goal-filled afternoon.


There was a huge result in Division One also at the weekend where Melbourne Sports pulled off a shock result against the high-flying Ryan Reserves in Hainault. The Mels climbed two places in the table, securing a second win of the season as they pushed on to a 3-1 win and inflicting a third defeat of the season on the visitors. John Shubert, Benjamin Hall and Scott Lincoln were the men on target to win the match.

In the mid-table clash in this division, East Ham Inter were on the road as they visited Three Colts at Jubilee Sports Ground with both sides seeking to close the gap on the promotion chasing sides with a victory. Fabian Donovan got on the scoresheet for the Colts but his effort was in vain as Inter scored three goals of their own to earn a hard-fought victory.


With the top four sides all out of action this weekend, this presented an ideal opportunity for some mid-table outfits to close the gap on those above with Flyers taking on ACD United in a Havering derby match. Jack Swaby was the hero of the day with a hat-trick for Flyers with goals from Jason Collins and Patrick Junior accompanying him onto the scoresheet to confirm a huge 5-3 success against their opponents, moving up to fifth place in the process.

Also on the rise are Custom House as the Dockers took on Newham borough rivals, Newham United Reserves, in a mid-table clash on Saturday. With both sides having shown solid starts to the campaign, this was very a very tightly contested battle which was settled by the odd goal with Custom House earning a 2-1 win to move sixth in the standings.

And it was a weekend to remember for Forest Green Reserves who, following a difficult start to their debut campaign, registered a maiden victory with a 5-3 win against Inter Plaistow. Rakeim Blaize, Samuel Garrett and Izuchi Ijoma were the scorers for the visitors but they proved mere consolation as a Marcel Destouche brace and singles from Orane Fisher, Joshua Kibuuka and Ramel Benjamin completed an important win for Green.


The result of the day in Division Three goes to FC Baresi who secured a thumping 17-0 victory on their trip to Wanstead Flats to face Custom House Community. Davion Bascoe and Delano Lloyd both put in five-star, five-goal performances with Hasan Ombasi scoring a hat-trick himself and single goals from Mark Matthews, Esat Saiti, Hashim Akram and Mohammed Khan. FC Baresi can now go top if they can beat leaders Chigwell next weekend in what looks like the game of the weekend.

The leaders, Chigwell, will head into next week’s mouth-watering clash with a stack of goals behind them having visited a struggling Frenford A side and prevailing in an 8-5 goal-fest. Jonathan Lye was the main hero scoring four goals with Jayden Francis’ brace and singles from Jake Lye and Harry Burgess completing the win although they will be aiming to tighten up at the back before their next match.

Glendale returned to winning ways at the weekend with a trip across Redbridge to face New Star Soccer in Ilford. Yet it took another comeback as New Star twice led in the match with George Martin, John East and Nathanial Nelson all scoring but a vastly improved second half showing from the Dales saw goals from Mouhamed Gueye, Johann Grant, Abbas Khabbaz, Khari Pobi and Leon Sterling to confirm a 5-3 victory.

In the day’s remaining game in this division, two further sides with aspirations of finding a promotion place saw Old Esthameians Reserves and Redbridge Development battle to a score draw as their encounter ended level at 1-1. George Coffey got E’s only goal as they took home a point to keep them well in the mix.


The biggest winners of the day in Division Four were Brook City as the Woodford based outfit played host to Avondale Rangers who were looking to build upon their big win last weekend. Thomas Byrne and Tony Craske were both on target for Rangers but their efforts were proved in vain as City scored six goals for their side to win 6-2 on the day, moving them to within touching distance of sides above them.

There was a very exciting match in Hainault where second placed Royal Forest were visited by fifth placed Dagenham United Reserves on Saturday. The sides had to settle for a share of the points with both netting four goals each in an eight goal thriller. Chris Mascall scored twice with Lee Green and Jeffrey Nketia’s goals carrying United to the 4-4 draw.

In the day’s remaining league match, there was another draw as Newham Royals took on Brentwood United Reserves in a local derby match at Westlands. It took a late, late equaliser from Brentwood for them to take home a point as Bradley Jackson’s goal gave them a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw.


There were mixed fortunes in this weekend’s county cup third round ties with eleven sides from the league involved in county cup clashes over the weekend.

In the Essex Junior Cup, there was a battle royale in Chigwell where Colebrook Royals were visited by one of the in-form sides in the county in Laindon Orient. A very hotly contested match looked to have been settled as Royals led with just a few minutes to go but two late, late Orient goals broke Royals’ hearts to secure their passage into the fourth round.

Also going down in the Junior Cup were West Essex Reserves who couldn’t repeat their feats of the second round despite their visitors having spent more time travelling than on the pitch with a long trip west from Tiptree Heath. West went down to an eventual 8-0 defeat, getting themselves in a jam and ending their participation in this season’s competition.

In the Essex Junior Trophy, the biggest winners of the day were Docklands Albion who thumped Mid Essex League visitors Emerson United in an 8-0 performance to secure safe passage to round four. They will now face a short trip to Buckhurst Hill Under 21s in the next round in January.

Also winning were Ferns Seniors who made the trip up the M11 to take on Social Club Birchanger who hail from the Herford & District Football League. Ferns completed a third county cup win of the season, battling to a 4-2 victory to return home safe in the knowledge of continuing their campaign into January where they take on Brentwood United in round four.

Another side into the hat for the fourth round are Lymore Gardens who continued their liking for a cup run with a comfortable looking 4-2 home win against Extreme United in Leyton on Saturday. They will be at home again in the next round as they face another Mid Essex League outfit in the shape of Pitsea Athletic.

In the first of two all-EAL clashes, Chingford Athletic Reserves took on Haver Town Reserves in a tasty looking clash between two high-flying sides albeit with two divisions between them. That difference in league standings played a big part as Chingford were able to come through safely in a 3-1 win to book a place against A1 Sports Under 21s in the next round.

And completing the list of EAL sides victorious in county action at the weekend, another interesting battle saw Division One’s Singh Sabha Barking on the road at unbeaten Rainham Working Mens Club who hail from Division Two. In a match which looked very interesting on paper, Singh Sabha scored early on and maintained that lead to secure a 5-2 win.

Where there are winners, there also have to be losers with two sides seeing their county cup conquests reach a conclusion. Chingford Harriers travelled down to the coast to face Shoebury Town A and were on the wrong end of a 7-1 defeat while Cowley Community’s exit was confirmed at home to Brentwood United with a 3-0 scoreline.

Other News Articles

Return to news list