Cranes United come from behind three times to win Premier Division Cup

Cranes United come from behind three times to win Premier Division Cup

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

It had taken a while longer than expected to get underway but the last cup final of the season, the Premier Division Cup final between Rainham Working Mens Club and Cranes United, reached Dagenham & Redbridge FC. With the sun out during the first part of the day and warm temperatures, we were hopeful of a good crowd and we were not let down as 175 turned up to support their sides.

Rainham Working Mens Club were the fastest out of the blocks and got the opening goal after just 14 minutes with the midfielder racing down the left hand side of the box, cutting back and finishing terrifically past the Cranes United keeper for 1-0. Cranes mounted sustained pressure as the half wore on but couldn’t beat the Rainham stopper as the men in green went in at half time a goal to the good.

After half time, Cranes United got a deserved equaliser as a cross from the left was met with a great header at the far post to bring their side level on 70 minutes. Just when you thought they were going to go on and get a winner, a fumble by the Cranes keeper and a result tug on a Rainham shirt brought a penalty which was despatched well to make it 2-1 to Rainham with 12 minutes to go.

There was a feel of de ja vu about the last few minutes as Cranes United, buoyed on by their heroic comeback in the Fenton Cup final, nicked another equaliser in the 90th minute to take the game into extra time.

With the rain now coming down, you have to give credit to this plucky Rainham WMC side who once again took the lead in the third minute of extra time with a good close range finish to make it 3-2.

But what we have all learnt from this Cranes side is that they do not give up and just before the break in the first period of extra time, they equalised for a third time as a corner went straight in at the far post for 3-3.

With both sides preparing for the inevitable penalty shootout, one last chance fell the way of Cranes United with the forward breaking free to unleash an unstoppable effort from 10 yards out and secure the cup for his team.

What a fantastic game of football we had witnessed with the winners coming from behind three times to win the game in the last couple of minutes of extra time. Full credit to both sides and the match officials on an entertaining game of football.

Thank you to Mr Wayne Deller of the Essex County Football Association who was the guest of honour for the day and presented the medals to each side at the end.

Other News Articles

Return to news list