Chingford Athletic Reserves win thrilling Division 2 Cup Final

Chingford Athletic Reserves win thrilling Division 2 Cup Final

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

It’s become a season a remember for Chingford Athletic as a club as their reserves followed the trend set by their first team by winning the Division 2 Cup last night 3-2 in a thrilling contest with Custom House.

Despite the rain in the build-up, the match itself remained dry but with the slick pitch, what the conditions did give everybody watching however was a spectacular match filled with goal scoring opportunities and sliding tackles!

The stage was set from the very first minute as Chingford got in on goal and smashed their effort just over the bar from so close in that it looked harder to miss! A minute later, Custom House went straight down the other end and hit the bar as a looping cross struck the woodwork. The first goal came on eight minutes as the ball came across the box and was laid off for Tom Kavanagh to net past the keeper and make it 1-0.

Custom House came back hard and could easily have been level or even ahead as first an effort from the edge of the box was struck straight at the Chingford keeper before a fantastic looping effort from the left hand side almost caught out the keeper but was expertly tipped around the post to keep his side ahead at the break. What a half of football!

There was certainly going to be goals in the second period and so it proved as in the third minute after the restart, Jamie Wooster found himself in behind for Custom House and made no mistake with a volleyed finish to make it 1-1. Moments later they could have been ahead with a volley going agonisingly past the post in an emphatic start to the half.

Then on 71 minutes, Chingford Athletic Reserves were ahead again as a defender lost the ball in a dangerous position before a cross was turned past the Custom House keeper by his own defender to hand a fortuitous lead to the E4 boys.

It didn’t stay that way for long as within three minutes, this game was level again as Paul Wooster made the most of some indifferent defending to bend the ball past the Chingford keeper and bring the sides level at 2-2. What that goal also confirmed was a father and son cup final scoring double which must be a rare feat in football. And it was Jamie Wooster who many thought had bagged a winner for Custom House as his free-kick from fully 30 yards out sailed just millimetres over the bar with many of the spectators celebrating a goal!

The passion clearly shown by both sides to win this final was apparent as the game became fiery towards the end with a melee adding a bit of spice to the remainder of proceedings. As the clock ticked into stoppage time, both benches were preparing their substitutes for what looked like a likely penalty shootout.

But, cometh the hour, cometh the man – in stoppage time, the ball found it’s way to substitute Jake Mignot, brother of first team striker Mike, on the left hand edge of the Custom House penalty box and he converted superbly to hand a 3-2 victory to Chingford Athletic Reserves and bring down the roof at Dagenham & Redbridge!!

What an end to a quite breath-taking cup final, one that I highly recommend you watch the DVD for. Both teams went hammer and tong in trying to win the cup and it’s a crying shame that only one side can be a winner. Congratulations to Mike ‘Trigger’ Davies and his side for their win and commiserations to Nick Field’s Custom House side on such an incredible performance.

Photographs from the match can be found on the League’s Flickr account online now

Video highlights of the match, courtesy of Hughes Video Services, will be made available in a few days time.

Other News Articles

Return to news list