WEEK 34 REVIEW: Chingford Athletic and Grove United confirm league titles

WEEK 34 REVIEW: Chingford Athletic and Grove United confirm league titles

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address

Both the Premier Division and Division One titles were decided today as Chingford Athletic and Grove United secured league and cup doubles.

In the Premier Division, Chingford Athletic came into the game knowing that a win would confirm the title but anything less would leave the door ajar for Jolof Sports Club to possibly spoil the party. Playing against a Buckhurst Hill Under 21s side, themselves struggling at the wrong end of the table, it was indeed a spirited and highly competent Hill side who made the early running and kept Jack Francis busy in the Athletic goal all afternoon. Where they lacked however was in the finishing stakes, something that Chingford found no problem with on the day as Mike Mignot led from the front with a haul of five goals, adding to further strikes from Jake Mignot, James Clarke and Tom Pearce to carry them to an 8-0 victory and championship glory once again! It has already been a delightful season for the boys from E4 with the potential of a treble on the horizon. Congratulations to all of the players and management at Chingford Athletic on securing the league title.

In Division One, a similarly important game took place as first met second with Grove United taking on Three Colts in a winner-takes-all showdown to decide the league champions. For Grove, this game was the second in three days following their cup final success on Thursday night and were missing keeper Paul Dent coming in the game. Three Colts knew the equation, they had to win and arrived early in anticipation for a big day ahead. Grove United however drew first blood in a fiery and competitive affair netting from a set piece early in the game to take a lead. Three Colts came back strong but Grove held out to stay ahead at the break. The scoring accelerated somewhat in the second period with Grove netting from a second set piece early on but an instant reply from Colts as they scored to reduce arrears with still 35 minutes to go. Grove kept on scoring however as Harry Chalk netted twice and a deflected fifth took the wind out of Colts’ sails and secured a second successive league and cup double for Grove United. Many congratulations to all of the players and management at Grove United on another wonderful campaign. Commiserations to Three Colts who kept pace with Grove all season and only fell at the very last hurdle. Both sides will now make their way up into the Premier Division in time for the 2016/17 season ahead.

The last game of the day saw St John’s Deaf travel up to Yorkshire to face a Black Country Deaf side in the Plate Final of the British Deaf Football National Cup. As finals go, Memnos and his team couldn’t have wished for a better performance and result as St Johns ran out very comfortable 8-0 winners with Marios Costi the star of the show with six goals! Oliver Manoochehri and Christopher Martin completed the scoring as St Johns Deaf secured the trophy. They now travel to Denmark on Monday to compete in the Deaf Champions League  and we wish them all well for the trip.

Other News Articles

Return to news list